• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Oh... My.... God....

richm2778

Pittsburgh schools: Biology class snake wasn't used as jump rope, was just swung around
By Associated Press
7:45 PM EDT, May 20, 2009
PITTSBURGH (AP) — A spokeswoman for Pittsburgh Public Schools says a high school student swung around a snake from a biology class but didn't use it as a jump rope as police had said.

Schools spokeswoman Ebony Pugh said Wednesday that "it's not a big enough snake to jump rope with."

She also says the albino corn snake is OK and didn't need to be treated by a veterinarian after Monday's incident.

Police say the 17-year-old Taylor Allderdice High School student will be charged with theft and cruelty to animals.

GOOD GRIEF! As an animal lover and a teacher with classroom critters, this sort of thing makes me furious! How the heck does this stuff go on? At least the offender is being charged with something. I'm glad the snake's okay.

This makes me fear having 2 of my snakes in a high school.

When I was in high school a kid brought in a ribbon snake and through it around in the hallway then tried stepping on it. Thankfully the snake was grabbed by another kid and brought it down to me. Even with witnesses the kid never even got a detention.

This makes me fear having 2 of my snakes in a high school.

When I was in high school a kid brought in a ribbon snake and through it around in the hallway then tried stepping on it. Thankfully the snake was grabbed by another kid and brought it down to me. Even with witnesses the kid never even got a detention.

That's unimaginable. I don't doubt your word, don't get me wrong. It's just unimaginable even though it happened!

I love having snakes in my classroom, but there are a few factors that make it workable for me. Of course my room is always locked if I'm not in it. Proper classroom pet procedures are covered in a letter I send home at the beginning of each semester; it has to be returned with a parent signature or the student will NEVER interact with a pet except through the glass.
Also, and maybe most important for my peace of mind, I have a lock for the viv. Yes, a real lock, which I put on each afternoon when I leave just in case. (It makes my custodian happy, too.)

So far I haven't had any issues. My favorite reasons for having corns in the class are: 1. hearing students say they won't kill wild snakes at random any longer (especially not corns), and 2. the look of amazement on the face of a student (or colleague) initially terrified of snakes, when s/he touches a snake for the first time and likes it.

Caryl I am glad you are careful with your snakes at school, but I think it is wonderful that you expose the students to it. I would never have gotten into snakes if it werent for my Junior High teacher's corn. I fell in love with her and he let me baby sit her for the summer while he went out of town and BOOM. I've had snakes ever since.

It is wonderful when teachers can expose kids to new animals like that. It is terrible how cruel kids can be at times though..

Ali

I heard about this the other day, some people just have no respect for living things.

As an aside...the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title "oh...my...god..."... "becky, look at her butt, it is soooooo big" :laugh:

Caryl I am glad you are careful with your snakes at school, but I think it is wonderful that you expose the students to it. I would never have gotten into snakes if it werent for my Junior High teacher's corn. I fell in love with her and he let me baby sit her for the summer while he went out of town and BOOM. I've had snakes ever since.

It is wonderful when teachers can expose kids to new animals like that. It is terrible how cruel kids can be at times though..

Ali

Thanks, I always love hearing things like that. I wouldn't do it if I thought the animals weren't safe here; cruelty is too easy for too many people. There's always a risk of course, but I eliminate as many chances for trouble as I can and enjoy having the animals here.

I heard about this the other day, some people just have no respect for living things.

As an aside...the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title "oh...my...god..."... "becky, look at her butt, it is soooooo big" :laugh:

I thought the same thing..LOL "becky . . look at her butt, she looks like one of those rap guys girlfriends"...ROFL...

Caryl, check your locks. My first cornsnake was the one I stole out of a locked viv in the High School biology lab.

I think the real point of this thread has been missed. This topic came up last week with the kid using the snake as a jump rope and the snake going to the vet and it was horrible. Sold a lot of news papers.

The new article says “well none of that actually happened.” We need to learn that what is in the news is not fact. What the talking heads tell you each night before we go to bed is a story. Sweet Dreams.

Caryl, check your locks. My first cornsnake was the one I stole out of a locked viv in the High School biology lab.

I think the real point of this thread has been missed. This topic came up last week with the kid using the snake as a jump rope and the snake going to the vet and it was horrible. Sold a lot of news papers.

The new article says “well none of that actually happened.” We need to learn that what is in the news is not fact. What the talking heads tell you each night before we go to bed is a story. Sweet Dreams.

Why Wade, you reprobate! I'm willing to bet that you didn't steal the snake to abuse it, at least. My locks are decent, and in a locked room, but I know there are ways to get the snakes if someone is seriously determined. Heck, that's also true at home, for that matter.

I missed the "none of that actually happened." Gah! First I was asking why people mistreat animals, and now I'm asking why people jerk others' chains for fun and profit. I know, that question provides its own answer. This knowledge does not require that I endorse it, though I know it to be true.

....and thanks for the dream wishes. I like bedtime stories. ;)

Pittsburgh schools: Biology class snake wasn't used as jump rope, was just swung around
By Associated Press
7:45 PM EDT, May 20, 2009
PITTSBURGH (AP) — A spokeswoman for Pittsburgh Public Schools says a high school student swung around a snake from a biology class but didn't use it as a jump rope as police had said.

Schools spokeswoman Ebony Pugh said Wednesday that "it's not a big enough snake to jump rope with."

She also says the albino corn snake is OK and didn't need to be treated by a veterinarian after Monday's incident.

Police say the 17-year-old Taylor Allderdice High School student will be charged with theft and cruelty to animals.

So, I guess that makes it OK then? Phew! He only swung it around and didn't jump rope with it!

WHAT A FLUPPING <~(cleaned up) MORON, SOB, POS, and so on and so on and so on!!

Wayne

After all, it's not big enough to jump rope with....Duh....it needed to be a foot longer dammit!! Swinging it around is not like abuse or anything....fer sure! What the h.....???? I can't believe someone even said that!

Back