• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Oh No!! Leonard needs help :(

Bustacapp

Leonard started shedding a couple weeks ago eye got hazy the whole bit but now it has been 2 weeks his eyes are no longer hazy but his old skin is still on its trying to peel and such just hasnt yet. Guess my main question is how long does it take a corn snake to shed and if i should put him in some water for a hour or so thank you in advance for your help :) :shrugs:

If you think he's struggling with the shed, there are a few things you can do. The one I've found to be the most effective to get a towel (sized according to your snake's size) damp it with luke warm water - not HOT, not COLD - and let him crawl through it. it should help him loosen some of the skin off his body.

To help him prevent this, try to track how often and what time of the month he sheds, and add more humidity to his cage. You can make a moist hide, but placing damp paper towels in a hide. And you can mist him and the cage daily, to add moisture.

before giving him a bath I would try and hold some moist paper towl and let him squirm through that..That will hopefully moisten the skin enough to start shedding off..If that doesn't work then you might want to try a bath..but baths can be a little stressful to a snake so IMP it should only be used as a last resort..

You can try putting a moist hide in the viv to help too. A snake should be able to successfully shed within an hour or two. It shouldn't take days. Next time he's in blue, you might try misting once a day until shed, or providing a moist hide for him.

What I would do is put him in his feeding container, with a washcloth on the bottom, with a small amount of water- enough to wet the washcloth and partially submerge the snake, but not deep enough that he can't stick his head out- like an inch or so. Let him soak for 20-30 minutes, then see if you can rub the skin off with the washcloth. Check his eyes and tail tip very carefully to make sure the shed is off there. But really you need to get it all off.

Nanci

It could just be my snake, but I have noticed so far that the more hassling and worrying I do, the more hassle my snake has had with the shed. Last time, I just spilled her water dish a bit to up the humidity, and there was no problem. However, I am not suggesting that if your snake is having trouble shedding already, that you take a laissez-faire attitude about the issue.

Back