• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

ok now im REALLY worried

MERCURY

Herpetologicaly Hooked
little mercury stayed in his hide for the most part of december and finnaly stared becoming active again in early january, then a couple of days ago he had a bad shed which has never happened before but I managed to help him get the skin off by giving him a good soak etc. well this morning he came up to the door of his viv as usual and i put my hand in as i always do , he usualy quitre happily crawls over my hand and thorugh my fingers and just kinda hangs out for a while but this time he jumped and just kinda froze. its really worrying mr because hes always been very docile and happy to be handled.

any suggestions/ comments would be greatly appreciated

Thanks .

Hi Mercury. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about. He's not striking so you probably did just startle him, as mb said. The bad shed as you probably know is likely due to humidity, so try misting the tank during the shedding process to make it easier.

Any changes made to his environment or is it possible something has stressed him out at all? I know it's scary when their behaviour changes but it could be anything, even the season, so try not to worry. You aren't there all the time presumably, so he could be out and about a lot, just not when you can see him ;)

thanks guys, I think he must have been startled, I refreshed his water and he came right over to me and started crawling about again (now i feel stupid for being so worried lol)
i think as well as misting his viv in future ill put a little tub of water in his viv with a perfarated lid just to be safe.

thanks again

I agree aout the misting and with one of those
mistingbottle.jpg

I spray 1 spray twice a day as soon as my snakes appear blue. They are also cheap and i got mine from asda for about 60-80p i think.

oldhand said:
I spray 1 spray twice a day as soon as my snakes appear blue. They are also cheap and i got mine from asda for about 60-80p i think.

exactly what i do

yep, i have a humidity gauge in the middle of the enclosure to monitor things. Usually keep it around 40-50 normal and 60-70 during shedding

Back