• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

OK so I've just adopted a corn snake

Paths54

The problem is, I live in a NO PETS ALLOWED apartment complex.
I decided to use a red heat bulb, due to the fact that I live in a pretty
warm area, Los Angeles, and I don't want to attract attention from neighbors
as they walk by my living room at night. The bedroom is out, cuz I can't sleep with that frickin red light on, so I am thinking of utilizing one of my closets.

If you want to be really cryptic don’t use a light. Get an under tank heater. Or a ceramic heater that screws into a light socket but does not emit light. Your snake doesn’t need light.

Snakes are quiet. They don’t smell if kept clean. They don’t ruin the carpet. They don’t bite the mailman if kept in the cage. With just a little effort, no one will know he is there.

A UTH provides all the heat needed. Corn snakes don't need additional heating... and they are far less obvious than red lights or any other lights. I wouldn't worry, nobody will find out :) My sister used to lift her entire viv and hide it in the wardrobe when her landlord came round - until he came without notice. Fell in love with the wee snakes and lets her keep them anyway.

Yeah thats what I'm afraid of. Thats why keeping it in the closet, just seems like one less hassle. I just moved in from an aprtment that was pet friendly, now I have stricter rules.

How are those ceramic bulbs? I am skeptical of using one.
And as others have previously mentioned, you really don't need a bulb heater, be it ceramic or incandescent....an under-tank heater will do the job just fine.

regards,
jazz

Get an under tank heater. Far easier to control Ceramic heaters are great in my opinion if you need to raise the ambient tank temperature for instance but UTHs are your best bet!

I also live in a "no-pets" apartment.

Did I mention I have fish, 13 snakes, and a tarantula? Oh yes, my roommates have rats, more fish, and hermit crabs? And yes, my landlord knows about them. A lot of landlords say "no pets" but really only mean "no cats/dogs". If at all possible, call your landlord and mention you were thinking about getting a snake, and want to know if a caged animal would be okay.

Or have a friend call the landlord, if it is multiple occupant appartment, and tell them they are thinking of moving in but have a snake and want to know if it is ok. That way you are not implicated.

UTH is the way to go!

If you want to be really cryptic don’t use a light.

They don't need artificial lights, but they do need access to natural light - I wouldn't recommend keeping them in a closet.

You could ask the landlord an even more ambiguous question - like "I know you don't allow cats or dogs, but am I OK to have something in a tank?". They're usually more worried about things that will chew doorframes, poop on carpets and keep the neighbours awake with noise.

You could also just keep the tank where it is, heat it with an undertank heater (UTH) and forget about any light bulb. That way, you won't be kept awake and the neighbours won't see any evidence from outside.

Plus when the landlord comes round, you can just throw a tablecloth or bedcover over it until he leaves, put a plant & a couple of magazines on top of it and pretend it's a blanket box or storage trunk.

You could ask the landlord an even more ambiguous question - like "I know you don't allow cats or dogs, but am I OK to have something in a tank?".

I would say "DRY tank" and add, "...like a toad or something." Even the most phobic anti-snake person wouldn't object to a wee little froggy. :angry01:

hi

The problem is, I live in a NO PETS ALLOWED apartment complex.
I decided to use a red heat bulb, due to the fact that I live in a pretty
warm area, Los Angeles, and I don't want to attract attention from neighbors
as they walk by my living room at night. The bedroom is out, cuz I can't sleep with that frickin red light on, so I am thinking of utilizing one of my closets.

were do you adopt snake please help want another snake

Back