• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Okay I found what I want to breed! :D

Can I ask why you want to breed? Do you have buyers for this morph or do you want to keep all the babies? Even if you do breed Dilute to anery not all your babies if any will come out to be blues....

breeding a Dilute to an Anery, you won't get Dilute Anerys until the 3rd generation, your Dilute and Anery being the first generation. they're both recessive traits, as are most morphs. the babies need to get both traits from both parents for them to be expressed. to get Dilute Anery in the second generation from a Dilute and an Anery, they would each have to be het for the other trait.

I think your question was asking if the snakes would look like the one in the link you provided. I believe the answer is that they could. Here's some more pictures of what they could look like. http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/dilute_anery/ I've got a Dilute Anery Motley (Blue Motley) that looks very similar to the one on the bottom left.

breeding a Dilute to an Anery, you won't get Dilute Anerys until the 3rd generation, your Dilute and Anery being the first generation. they're both recessive traits, as are most morphs. the babies need to get both traits from both parents for them to be expressed. to get Dilute Anery in the second generation from a Dilute and an Anery, they would each have to be het for the other trait.

I think your question was asking if the snakes would look like the one in the link you provided. I believe the answer is that they could. Here's some more pictures of what they could look like. http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/speci.../dilute_anery/ I've got a Dilute Anery Motley (Blue Motley) that looks very similar to the one on the bottom left.

Thanks! That answers my question. :) So if I did breed, (not going to happen for at least 2-3 years) would 2 blues produce blues?

Can I ask why you want to breed? Do you have buyers for this morph or do you want to keep all the babies? Even if you do breed Dilute to anery not all your babies if any will come out to be blues....

I want to breed because I love corn snakes and enjoy raising them. I have a few people already that said when I do breed (2-3 years) the would love t have one. But don't worry I have a long time to learn more and more. If you have any tips, ideas, etc. please feel free to tell me! I love learning so I am fully prepared. I did get a book about them so I do have somewhere to go to if no one can answer my questions.

kimba's right. You won't get Dilute Anerys until pretty late in the game. Breeding a dilute and an anery, without any hets, will give you normals het. for dilute and anery. Here's a really good site to help determine what you'll get out of any pairing: http://www.corncalc.com/.

But I am also intrigued by Gungirl's question - Why do you want to breed? It can be extremely rewarding to raise hatchlings that you cared for since the egg, but the market is already flooded with lots of corn snakes. There's been a lot of debate about whether amateur breeding is ruining the ability of large-scale professional breeders to sell their products, and to be quite frank it probably is. Amateur breeders can get away with asking low prices, thus forcing the professionals to lower theirs to match. In the end, even some of the most sought after morphs with really interesting genetics sell for too cheap. For example, I once bought an ultramel lavender poss. het. bloodred hatchling for $10 at a show. The breeder couldn't sell them for anything higher, and was still having trouble selling them at such a low price.

Breeding also puts a lot of stress on the female, potentially leading to health problems. And then there are the hatchlings. If you're lucky, they'll all eat right off the bat. But unfortunately this isn't always the case. Are you prepared to force feed any stubborn ones, or make the decision to let them die?

There are a lot of things to consider before breeding. I'm not trying to assume that you haven't already thought of all of these things, but just in case you haven't I thought I'd give a little friendly reminder. If you do decide to go through with breeding, good luck and have fun!

Thanks! That answers my question. :) So if I did breed, (not going to happen for at least 2-3 years) would 2 blues produce blues?

Yes, breeding 2 dilute anerys together will produce all dilute anery offspring unless the parents have matching hets for another gene, such as motley, amel, caramel, etc. and then you could end up with dilute snows, dilute anery motleys, dilute anery caramel motleys, etc.

And I just looked at the example you posted and that particular snake is actually a dilute anery motley despite what the header says.

kimba's right. You won't get Dilute Anerys until pretty late in the game. Breeding a dilute and an anery, without any hets, will give you normals het. for dilute and anery. Here's a really good site to help determine what you'll get out of any pairing: http://www.corncalc.com/.

But I am also intrigued by Gungirl's question - Why do you want to breed? It can be extremely rewarding to raise hatchlings that you cared for since the egg, but the market is already flooded with lots of corn snakes. There's been a lot of debate about whether amateur breeding is ruining the ability of large-scale professional breeders to sell their products, and to be quite frank it probably is. Amateur breeders can get away with asking low prices, thus forcing the professionals to lower theirs to match. In the end, even some of the most sought after morphs with really interesting genetics sell for too cheap. For example, I once bought an ultramel lavender poss. het. bloodred hatchling for $10 at a show. The breeder couldn't sell them for anything higher, and was still having trouble selling them at such a low price.

Breeding also puts a lot of stress on the female, potentially leading to health problems. And then there are the hatchlings. If you're lucky, they'll all eat right off the bat. But unfortunately this isn't always the case. Are you prepared to force feed any stubborn ones, or make the decision to let them die?

There are a lot of things to consider before breeding. I'm not trying to assume that you haven't already thought of all of these things, but just in case you haven't I thought I'd give a little friendly reminder. If you do decide to go through with breeding, good luck and have fun!
Thanks! :)

Yes, breeding 2 dilute anerys together will produce all dilute anery offspring unless the parents have matching hets for another gene, such as motley, amel, caramel, etc. and then you could end up with dilute snows, dilute anery motleys, dilute anery caramel motleys, etc.

And I just looked at the example you posted and that particular snake is actually a dilute anery motley despite what the header says.

Hmm okay! I guess they are wrong! :)

Back