• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Okeetee or no?

beautifullywild77

Go Penguins!!!
I don't know the genetics of my corns. I bought them from stores that didn't really have much info. I was told that our Stanley was an Okeetee, but looking at pictures I am not so sure... could you guys shed some light please

Stanley2-2.jpg

Stunning little 'classic' (normal). Lots of red on that belly; I'll bet it becomes quite the stunner as an adult.

Thanks guys, he is a beautiful lil guy! When I first saw him I fell in love. They had him labeled as an Okeetee. My husband saw him the next day and decided it was time for his very own snake. He is a very active guy too. I think he is going to be our escape artist. He loves to hang out on the top of his tank (between the lip and the screen) My husband says it is because he is a super hero. (he was named after Stan Lee)!

Wow- is he red!!! He's beautiful!!! They love to go up on that little ledge when they are babies.

Definitely going to be a stunning adult, even if he's "just" a classic (ain't nothin' wrong with the classics!!). I would love to see a full belly photo as it seems as if there is a nice white line down the center, but that could just be because it's the tail...or maybe something more.

Thanks! I will try to get some more pictures of his belly! yeah, even if he is just a "classic" he is beautiful! He is the only snake my husband has absolutely fell in love with and just had to have! I spend a couple of weeks begging and talking him into letting us get my son a snake, Piglet was our first (snow corn)

He is red. Here is my "just" a classic that looked a lot like that as a baby. He even had a belly that looks just like that as well. If I had to guess by the little black he has he might be just as red as this guy when he grows up.

Attachments

• 057-2.jpg
    057-2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 201
He is so very beautiful! The pet store we got him at has an adult classic corn. She looks a lot like Stanley with beautiful red coloring but maintained her black outlines! I am excited to see how his colors turns into the older he becomes!

I don't know the genetics of my corns. I bought them from stores that didn't really have much info. I was told that our Stanley was an Okeetee, but looking at pictures I am not so sure... could you guys shed some light please

Stanley2-2.jpg

Unless your beautiful snake descended from lineages from the actual Okeetee locality, as Okeetee IS a locality, he would be a classic corn. IMO, your corn is the superior looking phase of corns. I absolutely love normals!!!!

The original locality Okeetees that were the founding stock at times very much didn't even look like what is commonly referred to as Okeetee " phase " corn these days, which are not locality corns if the lineage is not as such. A lot of them didn't have thick, black borders, or colors as screaming red/orange as they are now. Somewhere along the way, thru selective breeding, people started using the locality term for animals that were not even from that area or had a small percentage of founding stock from that area, but had since been diluted with non-locality animals.

Your buddy Stanley could very well be a locality Okeetee or may not be, the only way to truly know would be to have info regarding his lineage. The term these days is used by many breeders so flippantly, and can cause confusion as to what the terms really mean.

Stanley ROCKS! Gorgeous snake, and please, keep us posted with pics of the little guy.

Beautiful classic :*). The "Okeetee" moniker gets added to a lot of non-Okeetee animals, because it sounds more appealing then just call them "normals" As has been said, without knowing anything about it's background it's just a (very) pretty normal. A lot of "Classics" are just as pretty, even more so sometimes, than a true locality specific Okeetee...

Here's a bonafide "Okeetee"...Her parents were bred from corns collected within the subjective borders of the Okeetee Hunt Club by a guy named John Albrecht.

092011oke.jpg

Thanks guys! I really apperciate the imput! I will keep you guys posted with his pictures. Today was feeding day, so no new pictures for a few days!

Unless your beautiful snake descended from lineages from the actual Okeetee locality, as Okeetee IS a locality, he would be a classic corn. IMO, your corn is the superior looking phase of corns. I absolutely love normals!!!!

The original locality Okeetees that were the founding stock at times very much didn't even look like what is commonly referred to as Okeetee " phase " corn these days, which are not locality corns if the lineage is not as such. A lot of them didn't have thick, black borders, or colors as screaming red/orange as they are now. Somewhere along the way, thru selective breeding, people started using the locality term for animals that were not even from that area or had a small percentage of founding stock from that area, but had since been diluted with non-locality animals.

Your buddy Stanley could very well be a locality Okeetee or may not be, the only way to truly know would be to have info regarding his lineage. The term these days is used by many breeders so flippantly, and can cause confusion as to what the terms really mean.

Stanley ROCKS! Gorgeous snake, and please, keep us posted with pics of the little guy.

I 100% fully agree!. The term is tossed around today for almost any type of normal corn. As you said, cornsnakes directly FROM the Okeetee Gun Club's 50,000 acre estate do not necessarily represent what most Okeetee's in todays hobby display, although many certainly can.

The term "Okeetee" corn is commonly used to describe richly colored captive-bred corns that display vivid orange/red ground color and deep red saddle blotching that can many times involve thick black borders, but this was basically through Lee abbott's and the Love's old selectively-bred lines.

To me it is quite simple, if captive-bred snakes have this phenotype(outward apperance) but did not SPECIFICALLY originate from locality Okeetee Gun Club lineages, they are best coined "Okeetee phase" corns referring ONLY to the Okeetee "look". And if they descend from actual locality-specific lineages that have absolutely ZERO out-crossing into other bloodlines, then of course they are true "Okeetee locality" animals.

Heck, there are also some true locality-specific Okeetees that are actually selectively-bred for their THIN BORDERS as well.

In short, unless you actually KNOW the lineage, you simply don't know. I would also refer to that posted snake as a beautiful, nicely colored "classic" corn as well without knowing any of it's parental history. And if it did ALSO display the typical thick borders similar to the Abbott and Love, but cannot be traced to them, then it would be quite acceptable to simply go with "Okeetee PHASE" simply as a descriptive term of it's phenotype.

Problem being, there are too many people that drop or add the pertinent portion of the name or term, this is what can be extremely confusing to most folks...LOL!

Anyway, "classic" it is!.... :)

~Doug

I will just call him Stanley the corn snake :) Thanks tho, lots of good information! We just dont get much information about the lineage when we buy from pet stores, which is unfortunate!

I will just call him Stanley the corn snake :) Thanks tho, lots of good information! We just dont get much information about the lineage when we buy from pet stores, which is unfortunate!

That is so very true. Many years ago, I once sold a genuinely authentic Andean milksnake(L.t.andesiana) to a local pet store since I had no plans to get another female for it at the time and had all sorts of other projects at hand. I specifically wrote all the pertinent information as to EXACTLY what it was, including the latin name, and I went back a couple days later because I was short a few mice to feed all my snakes, and noticed they had the tank labeled..."Indian milksnake"..LOL!

I said.......um,...not quite!, I specifically wrote "ANDEAN" milksnake, it wasn't a typo that your unknowing employee apparently thought, this snake originates from the Andes Mountains, you know, in the Andes mountains of Colombia!???..HAHA!!

Anyway, if you you want very specific stuff, go to a well-known breeder that has been working with that particular type of snake for a good long while.

Nothing at ALL wrong with the snake you got there, that is for sure, but as you said, pet stores label things as either what they were simply told they are, or even many times what they want to call things for better maketing ploys to the general public.

I can honestly say, that there is virtually hardly a single pet shop I have ever walked into that I have not seen misrepresented/mislabeled snakes. The stories I could tell are virtually endless.

Anyway, yes, you have a great looking cornsnake there, ....so enjoy!

~Doug

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

Thought I would share a couple more pictures of Stanley. I got a couple of belly shots. He is our most active lil guy, so it is a bit hard to get pictures since he is constantly on the move!

I think he might have some bloodred in him, maybe het blood/diffusion. Very beautifull snake. /Niklas

Yes, Bob is chat last night said that he looks like he does! He is our baby! That would be so cool. I dont plan on breeding any of my corns for a while. I want to do some research first, pluse they are still babies! I have a female amel and a male snow!

He's cute. My first corn was a normal. I love the classics.

I overheard one pet store clerk tell a customer that the amel hatchling would lose its red and turn white like a snow. I quickly corrected this misinformation and earned a sarcastic remark from the blow hard.

Always double check anything you hear from a pet store.

Back