• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Okeetee

FlaStangBabe

Elmo & Molly's Mommy
Gordon and I went to the reptile shop yesterday and we saw an albino okeetee that apparently has been there for a while... the guy offered us $30 off if we got him/her...but I am stuck on the ghosts or even a lavender...what should we look for in an okeetee, I have noticed that many of you speak highly of the okeetees....(they didnt have any ghosts or lavenders, just amels and snows, and obviously this okeetee, i think it was a year or so....) any thoughts?

OkateeManiac said:
what ever you WANT to do it all depends what you want i bieleve you are talking about a reverse okeetee wich are very beutiful when they gro up stunning

http://www.cornsnake.net/gallery/Okeetee_reverse4.jpg

i think the one we saw had less orange and more white... see here is my delema...i want a second snake like NOW but i really like the grey one(lavendar and ghost etc) but when we were there (getting the "bible" and backing) i saw this okeetee and they sales person told us the snake had been there a while and that he would give the snake to us for 100 (taking $30 off) so it was tempting...

no i wouldnt take it thats still to expinsive listen it is easy to find ghosts maby not lavenders but its easy to find ghosts i would go gind a ghost if i were you

thank you for the advice...what or where can i find listings of good prices?...i payed 40 and change for our baby amel that we have now...was that over priced too?

Yeah, I have agree! If you want a ghost or a lav, you are STILL going to want a ghost or a lav if you buy the rev. okeetee, if that's what it is (???). I think even $100 is a lot, but that's just me. Basically I've only got snakes that when I saw them I thought "yep, that's the 1" right away. And I just love all 4 of my corns, so I guess that works!

Hold out a bit, soon there will be tons of 2005 babies out there to choose from. Have you looked at the Serpenco site? Or Kathy Loves? Or South Mountain? Or LLL? There are too, too many to list. I have looked at people's signatures and frequently they will have links to their websites with snakes for sale. You could really go nuts buying corns!!! So if you're not finding what you want at the pet store, go on-line! Hey, and if you buy several you can save on shipping (uh-oh, don't want to create a monster here! LOL). Oh yeah, you could check reptibid too. Good luck!

peep_827 said:
Hold out a bit, soon there will be tons of 2005 babies out there to choose from.

While this is true, this will be your first snake, right? If so, you might want to go with a little older one rather than a brand new hatchling. The older ones are already established feeders and will give fewer problems right off the bat from what I've been told. Mine was 2 when I got him and I'm really glad I went with an older/larger one to begin with. It made all of the "firsts" for me easier because he had already been doing these things for 2 years. I'm learning from him...

FlaStangBabe said:
thank you for the advice...what or where can i find listings of good prices?...i payed 40 and change for our baby amel that we have now...was that over priced too?
Just got back from the Tampa show. Too bad you couldn't make the trip.
Saw some Ghosts for $35, nice ones. Even figuring in the gas money, you couldn't go wrong. :cheers:

FlaStangBabe said:

Yes, mine was $15.

Yes, $100 is a rip off for a reverse okeetee.

Yes, dont buy corns from a 'pet store'.

Yes, make the trip to an expo and get things for 1/4 of the price that you'd pay at a pet store.

Yes, with the savings in price buy 4 more snakes.

mbdorfer said:
Just got back from the Tampa show. Too bad you couldn't make the trip.
Saw some Ghosts for $35, nice ones. Even figuring in the gas money, you couldn't go wrong. :cheers:

Oooohhh, what'd ya buy Mike?? LOL

it isnt a pet store like petco...or even pet world ( local pet shop) this is a place that deals with reptiles (including venemous) they also have exotics in there ( like lemurs) so it isnt like the place "puppies for sale"

too bad i didnt make it to the expo...would have been nice... this snake will be my second...probably gunna go with a yearling...dunno what kind, i am waiting on the boy friend to decide ( ghost or lavendar)

JTGoff69 said:
Oooohhh, what'd ya buy Mike?? LOL
2 females
Amel Mot and a Frosted Amel, that I thought looked like a candycane.
Daughter made me buy it.....lol
Pics in a few days, Gino said Hi!, and I didn't mean to hijack this thread :cheers:

mbdorfer said:
2 females
Amel Mot and a Frosted Amel, that I thought looked like a candycane.
Daughter made me buy it.....lol
Pics in a few days, Gino said Hi!, and I didn't mean to hijack this thread :cheers:

no hijacking worries... i actually have a question due to your story... if you buy a snake at one of these expos what happens if it dies? like at the shop i get mine at he has a guarantee or something to the extent of if the snake dies in 30 days or something and i think we get another snake or refund or something like that...he also clames to know kathy love...

FlaStangBabe said:
no hijacking worries... i actually have a question due to your story... if you buy a snake at one of these expos what happens if it dies? like at the shop i get mine at he has a guarantee or something to the extent of if the snake dies in 30 days or something and i think we get another snake or refund or something like that...he also clames to know kathy love...
Basically you ask the seller if there is any health warranty, get a business card etc. It's tough to feel out a seller sometimes. I usually purchase from breeders that I know or have heard of. I can usually tell after just a few minutes of conversation, if I feel comfortable with the seller. I do not purchase anything from anybody that does not have a business card. I have only been to the Tampa show 3 times and so far all the snakes I have purchased have been healthy. There is always the element of risk to some degree though.

Back