• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

OMG... She just shed!

jenkva

Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag
I can believe it, from the skin she shed today; unless I didn't mesure the first shed correctly; she has grown 13cm (5.2 inches) since the end of december... I am so exited... when I got her she was 20.8 inches and now she is 26 inches. :dancer:

I have a question though, she is now 6 months old, it is her 3 shed since December 23rd and I am not power feeding her.
Is this the normal/average growth rate? I know all snakes are different but does that seem like a normal, good, average or rapid growth? :shrugs:

Thanks a lot for letting me bore you with the length of Freya's shed ... :D

Sounds perfectly normal to me. She'll probably start putting a little more time between sheds in a couple months or so.

I need to weigh her as well but I have no way to compare as I did not do it when I got her.

Shed skins are not reliable means of measuring. If you don't have the serpwidget snake measuring program, take a string and put it along her body and then measure that. Skins can stretch anywhere from 10-20% more than the actual body length and since it's not consistant, it's hard to really get a good measure. Or, you could take a picture of her next to a measuring device with inches on it, and I'll use my program to give you her size.

Sounds like a fine size. My 7 month old Amel is 28" measured with serps program.

PhiniusFEB20060013.jpg

MegF. said:
Shed skins are not reliable means of measuring. If you don't have the serpwidget snake measuring program, take a string and put it along her body and then measure that. Skins can stretch anywhere from 10-20% more than the actual body length and since it's not consistant, it's hard to really get a good measure. Or, you could take a picture of her next to a measuring device with inches on it, and I'll use my program to give you her size.
I will try first to do it with a string and if that doesn’t work, I’ll try taking a picture next to a measuring tape.
Thanks for offering MegF, that is very nice of you :)

could I have got it sooooo wrong ..... LOL

MegF. said:
Hi MegF, I have downloaded Serpwidget and took the photo and mesured it and I now think she is a dwarf, she is just over 18 inches (just over 45cm)!
Did I mesure her correctly? Would you mind very much checking that I am correct?
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=539085780&photoID=2522256130013570069&security=tsUBFa

I have also weighed her and she is 38gr, is this a good weight for that length? I am not too worried as she eats we and is not skinny but was just wondering.

Thanks a lot for your help.

jenkva said:
I have also weighed her and she is 38gr, is this a good weight for that length? I am not too worried as she eats we and is not skinny but was just wondering.

Thanks a lot for your help.

38g is not way too small for a six-month old corn, but it's a little small. At 38g she should be able to handle a fuzzy every five or six days. What size prey item are you feeding her, and at what frequency?

I measure her at just under 18". That's about right for a 6 month old. If I recall right without checking my records, my amel was about that when I got him. He's now close to 4 ft. at 3 years old, so I wouldn't worry about it. She looks nice and healthy. I'd have to look at my records to see what kind of weights my other Okeetees had at 6 months as I didn't own a scale when I got my amel. I do have one late 04' who's still quite small, probably the slowest growing snake I've ever seen. She's only about 28" and 64 grams. Don't know what that's all about, but maybe she has some stripe somewhere. I've found that a lot of the stripes I've seen are quite slender and small. She's never missed a meal though....Here's the one I'm talking about. You can see her pattern is quite unique.
1minuet1229.jpg

Roy Munson said:
38g is not way too small for a six-month old corn, but it's a little small. At 38g she should be able to handle a fuzzy every five or six days. What size prey item are you feeding her, and at what frequency?
Well, looking at "themousefactory" it looks like an inbetween large pinkie and fuzzy. Today she ate a fuzzy that was 2.5" but not chubby like on their photo, more slender, like the large pinkie but with more hair.
Reading what you said and thinking about it, I may not feed her close enough, I fee her about every 7 days. I will try to feed her again on Saturday.
Darn, I hate to think that I am not feeding her what she wants/needs but at least she is not being starved for weeks on end.

MegF. said:
I measure her at just under 18". That's about right for a 6 month old. If I recall right without checking my records, my amel was about that when I got him. He's now close to 4 ft. at 3 years old, so I wouldn't worry about it. She looks nice and healthy. I'd have to look at my records to see what kind of weights my other Okeetees had at 6 months as I didn't own a scale when I got my amel. I do have one late 04' who's still quite small, probably the slowest growing snake I've ever seen. She's only about 28" and 64 grams. Don't know what that's all about, but maybe she has some stripe somewhere. I've found that a lot of the stripes I've seen are quite slender and small. She's never missed a meal though....Here's the one I'm talking about. You can see her pattern is quite unique.
Thank you so much for checking, you are a star :cheers: I guess I just need more practice at mesuring, hu!? Shame I did not have that from the start, I could have better seen her progress.

Sneaky devil (?) is indeed a "looker". It looks like someone forgot to lift the paint brush whilst doing her back. I also really like the way the edges of the back are not straight but more like the top of a castle tower, pretty neat!

when you took the pic, were you directly above your snake. If the pic is at an angle at all (to me it seems to be) the measurement could be inaccurate.

Regardless, great looking snake. All snakes just as people ... grow at different rates.

SilentLore said:
when you took the pic, were you directly above your snake. If the pic is at an angle at all (to me it seems to be) the measurement could be inaccurate.

Regardless, great looking snake. All snakes just as people ... grow at different rates.
That is correct, I did not think about that.
I did make another one which is less in an angle but still not 100% above her.
I will make sure that next time I am above her but for now I am leaving her alone as she ate only 1hr ago.

Yes she is great looking, I am very proud of her :D

maybe you should just weigh every month, to get more of a picture of her growth pattern. I was so worried that my carolina is not growing nearly as fast as my reverse, but from reading a thread about growth rates differing I've calmed down. Imo, a snake that is active and healthy and doesn't look skinny will carry on growing at its' own pace.

diamondlil said:
maybe you should just weigh every month, to get more of a picture of her growth pattern. I was so worried that my carolina is not growing nearly as fast as my reverse, but from reading a thread about growth rates differing I've calmed down. Imo, a snake that is active and healthy and doesn't look skinny will carry on growing at its' own pace.
I have made an Excel doc to keep track of her weight and length to make sure she grows well.

Thanks to you all for your answers and assistance, that is really appreciated

jenkva said:
Thank you so much for checking, you are a star :cheers: I guess I just need more practice at mesuring, hu!? Shame I did not have that from the start, I could have better seen her progress.

Sneaky devil (?) is indeed a "looker". It looks like someone forgot to lift the paint brush whilst doing her back. I also really like the way the edges of the back are not straight but more like the top of a castle tower, pretty neat!

Actually, the Sneaky Devil is my amel male, C.S. I thought he was a she for the first two years of his life. Suddenly he went off food, and when I put him in with my sexed female, he definitely was a boy! The aztec in the picture is named Minuet.

MegF. said:
Actually, the Sneaky Devil is my amel male, C.S. I thought he was a she for the first two years of his life. Suddenly he went off food, and when I put him in with my sexed female, he definitely was a boy!
:laugh01: LOL... priceless...

MegF. said:
The aztec in the picture is named Minuet.
Still gorgeous..... if somehow, you know, one day you have too many snakes and Minuet needs to, errr, go, you know, I'll have him in the blink of an eye.... LOL

Well, if SHE ever needs a new home, I know where to find you! Hopefully, that will never be the problem. I really want to see how she develops as an adult.

Back