• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

one week to go!

rebel13

i'm going to get my first corn at the baltimore show next saturday... but i want to make sure everything's in order.
caging:
55gallon aquarium with screen top( weighted with books, but enough room for adequete venelation )
2 plastic hide boxes
2 halves of a coconut shell
1 water bowl
newspaper substrate

heating:
1 undertank human heating pad (its usually warm in my room anyways because of my iguana, but its there just in case)

food:
buying app.75 mice at the show... 50 pinkies, 25 fuzzys (is that the next level? I always forget)

is that enough? is there anything else i should do? also, how much would a candy cane corn snake be at the show?

one more thing.... i can't decide if i want a male or a female. Is it hard to care for a gravid female? Do males get agressive during breeding season? Which of them get bigger? Sorry for the long post... im just really excited and full of q's!

Last edited:
55 gallon? That's huge!! Most people here use a 20 gallon long tank for a single snake. If you have to use a 55 gallon I would advise you to get a couple more hides and maybe a nice climbing branch to fill some space. IMHO Reptile heat pads are better. Females aren't particularly hard to care for when they're gravid and males don't really get agresive unless housed with other males after brumation (not clever). I can't remember which sex gets bigger (I think it's males) but they only get about half a foot bigger and it doesn't apply to all snakes. You should buy The Corn Snake Manual by Bill and Kathy Love. It's had a hell of a lot of advertising on these forums but it's worth the money!!!!

Last edited:
I'm with Neil on The Corn Snake Manual. to Some questions, Fuzzies are the next step up from pinkies. and that sounds like an adequate amount for a while. You will however want to think about how your going to get more micewhen that runs out. One suggestion would be ordering online,it's the easiest IMHO..lol even though I breed my own I hate it. I'd rather order frozen but I've allready invested alot in Breediong them anyway sorry for rambling. And good luck with you new baby!!

Did you know that they sell clips to hold screen tops onto aquariums? They're a lot easier and smaller than weighting it down with books. I use 4 clips, one for each corner. With a 55 gallon tank you might want 2 more clips for the middle. You can find the clips at many pet stores, if you're interested.

Yeah, and if you can't find proper lid clips you can use (I think) those big document clips that were mentioned in another thread. Sorry I can't be of more help but I can't remember what they're called. I'll go and see if I can find a pic.

what about?

I was wondering do you have a temp. thing so you know what temp. it is in the cage at both ends ?
I forgot what it was called
and you didn't mention it in your list

thermometer

Yeah, it's a very good idea to have a thermometer in both ends of the viv so temps don't get out of control and make the animal ill.

yea i have a gradient... the heating pad is only on 1/2 of the aquarium... actually i might use a 12x7 container for a few months... it sounds easier than putting so many hides, at least for now...

Back