• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

OOE question. What do you feed your fresh OOE's?

MrMatt

I was at a reptile show today and got my first corn. It's a beautiful Amel (I'll post pictures as soon as I can manage to get a good one). The breeder suggested that I cut pinkies in half since the baby may not be able to handle a full size one. So I got a few frozen pinkies chopped them up and tosses a tail end in with my corn.

Would this be proper procedure or do you have other techniques?

More than likely, the corn could handle a day old pink.

But, cutting in half is exactly what I do when I need smaller pieces.

I recently got 2 OOE babies, & I offered them each a small pinkie. One ate, the other did not...I'm pretty sure I can get the other one to start eating as well. (Fingers crossed)

We just had a clutch hatch at the rescue I work at, and we offered them small pinkies. A lot of them ate the first time, and most of them ate the second time. The few who hadn't eaten either time went to a foster home with a woman who raises mice, so that she could offer them live pinks and see if that worked. Also so she could spend more time with them, because she doesn't have more than 100 animals to take care of! These guys were pretty big for hatchlings, but we also didn't worry about getting extremely small pinks. A little one would probably do just fine for your baby.

newborn pinkies are no problem for hatchlings. older pinkies (even a week) might be too large for them to eat or digest properly. cutting them is one technique to get stubborn ones to eat, but isn't necessary otherwise.

Even though your baby may seem tiny you would be surprised at how wide they can open their mouths. When I first got a baby corn snake I wasn't so sure she could eat the pinkies I got her but she downed them pretty fast each feeding and once in her tummy it hardly made a lump. I say as long as the pinkie isn't huge and isn't bigger than the thickest part of the snake then it will be fine with a full pinkie.

She ate a pinkie tail last night. Also I've noticed the advice about the thickest part of the snake... She might be a 1/4 inch tops. Maybe one pinkie I got out of 50 is small enough for her to eat otherwise I'll have to keep cutting them up as we go. I'm extremely glad that it worked and she ate.

Thank You for your comments and advice!

You definitely want to feed her more than just a tail! There's almost no nutrition in that. If you're too worried, then at least feed a pinky head.

Oh I fed her the entire rear of the mouse. From the midsection cut back to include the legs and tail.

Still, the nutritional value of feeding your snake a whole pinkie vs. just parts is much higher. If you're really dedicated to feeding her only half of a pinkie, don't keep it up for too long. Maybe one of two feeds 4-5 days apart, then I think it's best to go for a full pink.
She'll be able to handle it and it will be best for her nutritionally.

Thank you! I'll sift through the pinkies I have and find the smallest one out of the bunch and see how she does when her next feeding time comes around.

Back