• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Opinions about feeding...

Temari

I love Pythons
Well, what i would like to say is I haven't fed my corn snake for 2 weeks now because i can't find clean mice to feed it.
I know this is a bad idea but, I was thinking about force feeding my snake some chicken liver.
What do you guys think? Is it a good idea or... is there any other way to feed my snake?? i hate force feeding my snakes... :cry: :cry:

No chance of finding day-old chicks? In a total emegency maybe a raw chicken wing but what's happened to your usual supply?
If the snake is only going to have to wait another week, personally I'd wait until I could get mice again. If you can't guarantee feeding supplies, why are you keeping snakes? (I don't mean to sound rude, I just can't help wondering)

I wouldn't personally use chicken LIVER if I were you - livers can contain all sorts, given their function in the body. And force feeding is a last resort when a snake won't feed itself, not a good way to go about feeding when it's just been a little while.

I'd definitely suggest waiting another week if you know you'll have mice by then.

I wouldn't consider force feeding any snake that eats willingly on its own, you can really cause them a lot of stress that way. I'd keep trying to find mice.

Sorry, maybe I'm just being blonde but what do you mean you can't find "clean" mice to feed it?

Personally, I live by "if it's not a rat or mouse, don't feed it"...but that's just me...

shed'n my skin said:
I wouldn't consider force feeding any snake that eats willingly on its own.

I have to agree with this.
Force feeding should only be done as a last resort for a snake who simply will not eat (and has not eaten for awhile.. quite longer than 2 weeks as long as snake remains in good condition) after trying various methods (i.e. braining, cleaning with soap, warming, scenting, switching from f/t to live, etc.) to get it to eat.

BTW Chicken livers is not a good/healthy option vs. mice (&/or "one or two" other options).

Velvet said:
Sorry, maybe I'm just being blonde but what do you mean you can't find "clean" mice to feed it?

Personally, I live by "if it's not a rat or mouse, don't feed it"...but that's just me...
I'd tend to agree - what do you mean by "clean"? If you're feeding f/t they should be pretty decent no matter what. If you're feeding live just go try to pick a "pretty" one out.

~Katie

Thank you for replays.
What i mean by clean is that they may carry many diseases, anyway i think i should what since the shop are going to get some pinkies next week...
again thanks for the help :)

Oh I see...

Well, even a healthy appearing mouse may be carrying something and just not be showing signs of it yet...personally, if You have a reputable petshop, the mice should be fine! :)

Freezing kills many pathogens. Just kill the mouse and freeze it for a while. Your snake should be able to go more than a few weeks without food. In the wild they certainly go longer than two weeks on occasion.

Temari said:
What do you guys think? Is it a good idea or... is there any other way to feed my snake?? i hate force feeding my snakes... :cry: :cry:

The way this is stated, it sounds like you done it before.. :eek1:
And I hope since your feeding it pinkts it has to be a young snake.
I do agree that you could just freeze you mice to get rid of most of the "dirt".
The snake can hold out until you get a fresh supply but you need to stock up and find a good supply sourse of mice.

i am in sort of the same position as you. i do not have anywere in my area that i can rely on for frozen mice. they do not stock very many so i can not use consistant sizes etc. i am going to start breeding my own mice in a very small colony.

maybe this could be an option in last resort?

hope it helps and good luck with finding a reliable supplier

That's an idea if you have a seperate space out of the house, but I'm thinking this little baby isn't going to wait until a mouse produces some day olds.

Back