• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

OT but of interest...

Quigs

"Got R Did"
:-offtopic
Eye candy for the genetic geeks.

I just recieved this in an email from my sister.

Original email content below, please let it be known these are NOT mine nor my sisters words...

"THESE PICTURES WERE TAKEN NEAR GORDON, WI

Not just any mother bear and her cub, but a black bear with a white cub.
I don't know how rare it is for a black bear to have a white cub but at
least we can say we've seen it no matter how rare it is!

I'm pretty sure the Indian community would go nuts over this. Kind of
like a white buffalo. Since there seems to be no sign of a pink nose or eyes, I would say that it is not an albino.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos!"

Now for the pics...

cid_image001.jpg

cid_image002.jpg

cid_image003.jpg

I do not have trained eye, but these do not looked photoshopped to me. I also don't know how long this has been in circulation, maybe some have already seen this but I found it to be very interesting!

First thought that came to my mind was leucistic. I zoomed in on the pics and it appears the bear cub does indeed have dark eyes, not red. But why the black nose, although it also appears to me that the nose does lack some of the intense black pigment.

Any thoughts?

Rich, sorry again for being off topic. I thought it was revelvant for a genetic discussion.

The interesting thing with these bears is - they are not typical Albinos cause they don't have red eyes.
I saw someting about them in TV in the last few weeks... don't know excactly.
Nice animals.

The same thing has happend in a population of deer located in Upstate NY. I lived across the street from the seneca army depot in Romulus, NY. THey have the largest population of white deer anywhere. THis has happend due to the deer being in an enclose darea for sucha long time. BEcause of inbreeding the recessive trait now shows up as much as the "normal morph". Here is a link to a website that has a couple of pictures of them.
http://www.senecawhitedeer.org/
http://www.winecountrycabins.com/to_do/wildlife/deerwhite.htm

Back