• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Outcome of breeding

pipi5xtra

hi
Have purchased a second male corn George. He is a carolina het ghost blood stripe motley. I have 4 females so far okeetee, anery type b, snow and amel het butter. What would you choose to breed him with and what would the offspring be?
Philippa

hi
Have purchased a second male corn George. He is a carolina het ghost blood stripe motley. I have 4 females so far okeetee, anery type b, snow and amel het butter. What would you choose to breed him with and what would the offspring be?
Philippa

You cannot physically have a snake that is a normal het stripe and motley. He's either het for one or the other....or is not a normal.

But a normal het ghost blood... I'd pair him with the snow.

breed him with all that are a suitable size to breed!! i wil refer to the male as 'M' ok.

M X Okeetee: normals/okeetee type/carolina type 100% Het. Hypo, Anery, blood, stripe, motley

M X Anery B: Normals/carolina type 100% Het. Hypo, Anery, blood, stripe, motley, Anery B

M X Snow (Amel Anery): Anery 100% Het. Hypo, blood, stripe, motley, Amel

M X Amel Het. Butter: Normals/carolina type 100% Het. Hypo, Anery, blood, stripe, motley, amel, 50% Poss Het. Caramel

:) If you dont want to just get normals use the Snow!! remember he can be breed to mutiple females.

an as to being both het for stripe and motley, i suppose it is debatable, however my view is that if you cross a motley to a stripe you get effectively het motley and stripe, however as motley is considered to be dominant to stripe the snake will appear homozegous for motley,, whilst also being het stripe.

however you have listed the male as het both which is visually false as if this was true the snake would look like a motley.

confusing isn't it :)

i will try and explain it better if you don't understand.

an as to being both het for stripe and motley, i suppose it is debatable...

But Joe stated that you cannot have a normal het stripe and motley. That is NOT debateable. ;) But I can tell that you knew that. Likewise, a cornsnake cannot be a normal het amel and ultra...

Why can't a normal be het for both stripe and motley? What if you bred a normal motley to a normal stripe- then what would the offspring be? Does it have to do with motley and stripe are on the same locus??

Stripe and motley belong to the same ... locus? is that the word? Anyway, there's only room for two genes there. Thus... if you have a *normal* het something, one of those genes is a normal gene, leaving you room for only one other. That other is either motley or stripe. It cannot be both.

Why can't a normal be het for both stripe and motley? What if you bred a normal motley to a normal stripe- then what would the offspring be? Does it have to do with motley and stripe are on the same locus??

Yes, it has to do with motley and stripe being at the same locus, and their relationship with each other. For simplicity, let's call that locus the "motley" locus. It has been fairly well established that there are three alleles that can reside at that locus (others such as "cubed" are speculated, but not confirmed): motley, stripe, and wild-type. If mom contributes a mot allele, and dad contributes a wild-type allele, then the hatchlings will be phenotypical wild-types because motley is recessive to wild-type. The same goes for stripe and wild-type. But if mom contributes a mot allele and dad contributes a stripe allele, then the hatchlings will be phenotypical motleys, because stripe is recessive to motley. Some may argue that mot and stripe have an incomplete dominant relationship, but I'm not convinced yet. Either way, you can't have a normal phenotype with a het mot and het stripe genotype. That corn would be a phenotypical motley, not a normal.

I'm never thirsting for new knowledge when reading this forum. Thanks Dean for that wonderful explanation! I'm totally new to corn genetics and had always wondered about the motley and stripe patterns.

So let me ask you this, how is it that some corns come out with a stripe on one half of their bodies and a motley pattern on the other half? Is the stripe portion just part of the motley gene that is ran together, causing it to look like a stripe? Or is it the Stripe gene that simply doesn't tell the stripe to run the entire length of the body of the snake? or am I crazy and there is no such snake? I'm sure I've seen a snake around here that has the pattern I'm describing.

I'm never thirsting for new knowledge when reading this forum. Thanks Dean for that wonderful explanation! I'm totally new to corn genetics and had always wondered about the motley and stripe patterns.

So let me ask you this, how is it that some corns come out with a stripe on one half of their bodies and a motley pattern on the other half? Is the stripe portion just part of the motley gene that is ran together, causing it to look like a stripe? Or is it the Stripe gene that simply doesn't tell the stripe to run the entire length of the body of the snake? or am I crazy and there is no such snake? I'm sure I've seen a snake around here that has the pattern I'm describing.

It can be confusing at first, but basically:

ss= stripe (4 lines)
mm= motley (huge variation, dot dot, pin-stripe, q-tip, etc)
ms= striped motley (big variation as well....can either be normal dot dot mots, all the way up to almost striped (not 4 lined) individuals.)

in my post i said that it could be het both motley and stripe, i had not mentioned looking like a normal, then at the end of my post i said that a snake het both would look like a motley.

the same applies for ultra and amel except they are co-dominant so it would like an ultramel. which is a combination of both looks.

as for whether your snake is het motley or stripe you will have to do test breeding's to check that.

the likely reasons i can think of for it being called het motley and stripe are:

one parent was a motley stripe, this however can be referring to things, that the snake is het for both(therefore appearing motley) which would mean that your snake is either het motley or het stripe or not het either. the other use of Motley stripe is a motley corn that has a slightly striped patten, if this is what a parent was then your snake will be het motley.

perhaps someone else will confirm this.

Back