• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Over Weight Corns

nitetygress

I was just wondering what it looks like when a snake is over weight, underweight and normal. Just so that I know how to judge if my snake is ever any of the two bad ones. Though I'm following Dean's feeding schedule but I worry about individual differences and accidentally feeding her too much or too little for her personal digestive tendencies...

An overweight Corn may:

a) Look like its head is too small for its body - kinda out of proportion

b) Look like it's wearing a sweater two sizes too small - you'll be able to see skin between its scales

c) Have a completely round cross-section

d) Have "love handles" - be unusually flabby in the lower end, which is particularly noticable just before the vent.

e) Feel "flabby" or too soft when picked up - lack muscle tone

If your Corn is about the right size, you shouldn't see the first four. Some Corns are naturally relaxed when handled and each has their own individual muscle tone, so that's more something you might notice if you knew the snake well to start with. There will be a bit of definition around the spine, which should be visible along the back, but it shouldn't be prominent.

An underweight Corn will have a spine that really sticks out. You may see looser folds of skin where it has lost weight and the skin has remained the same size. It might feel light and weak when picked up. It could be dehydrated - look for sunken eyes.

If your Corn is a normal size to start with and you're unsure which way to go with feeding, my advice would be to err on the side of slightly underfeeding. Putting weight on a Corn is all too easy, but getting it off again is a lengthy battle (I've been there!). Underfeeding is much easier to remedy.

Wow i can see that snake is overweight :eek1:

After seeing that i checked mine over and here's a pic i took
Irwinmycornsnake021.jpg

You can see a slight dent inbetween my 2nd and 3rd finger but nothing like above so i just wanted to check to see if ya thought mine looked anything to worry about.

I personally think i just a Cornsnake learner and am just worrying over nothing.

Back