• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

overdue Whirlpool update

cornspot

I see spots!
Whirlpool, the maching machine survivor, has now had two meals. The last one was a normal size. Shed once & looks like he may go again soon. There were a lot of areas where blood was in the shed in the tips of the "scales"; he didn't look nearly that beat up--poor guy must've really been sore! Has a couple places that will have permanent scars, but I suppose they will fade a bit with more sheds. He was 231g, up a little bit from the 220 he weighed at the vet--still a bit thin though.

That's really great news. I'm so impressed and would like to see pictures of the little survivor! And to clarify for those who've not read the story before, he took an accidental trip through an entire WASHING maching cycle, though I'm sure it felt like a mashing machine to him, poor guy!

The original story

This is the original posting Dated 10-7-06 from Cornspot about How Whirlpool got his new name"

I posted this elsewhere but have been popping in over here more & more lately, so I thought I'd share (this happened just a couple weeks ago):

I recently had a 2yr old crimson get out on me (didn’t slide his door all the way shut & he got out through a 3/16inch gap!)

I looked ALL over for him-- under the refrigerator & spare freezer, all the laundry, vaccuum cleaner tubes, beds, carpets, linen closet, EVERY WHERE! I assumed he either went into my wall or out the doggie door.

Last Sunday I did half a load of wash that I had been adding into the machine all week. I used hot water, soap and BLEACH! When it was done & I opened the lid there was my snake on top of the laundry!

I thought for sure he was dead (he wan’t moving) but I guess he was jsut cold form the rinse water. Then I thought he must have brain damage b/c he would not hold his head any way but upside down, no matter how I turned him, but I guess he was just DIZZY from the spin cycle b/c that improved within an hour.

Went to the vet Thursday. No sign of aspiration/pneumonia & no major broken bones (a suspicious looking area with one neck vertebra but it’s not actually dislocated & no broken jaw bones like I thought b/ he did have some swelling). A few abrasions on his back and a very bruised up mouth & pallett, but all in all he’s OK!!!! Just no food for a month (& it had already been 3 weeks--poor guy’s gonna be hungry!). He needs that time to heal, especially don’t want to stretch his neck area with a possible cracked vertebra.

I am glad this little guy is doing okay!

Guess I totally missed the first story, but glad to hear that he is doing well. good luck with him.

Amazing!

I had read this story when it had originally occurred. I'm absolutely blown away at the resilience of your snake... really amazing when you think about.

Congrats on such a survivor!!

-Tonya

I read the origional story as well...glad to hear he's still doing well for you! I can say I'd be a lot worse off than him if I'd been put through a washing machine cycle! :eek1:

Good to hear he's recovering from his ordeal, I remember being surprised when I read the original story that the little guy survived - but wow... Will you be taking any pics of him? I for one would like to see him!

Jenn

!!!!!!!! I am SO glad I didn't read the original post until the update, I am not one to enjoy being in suspense on things like this. That poor snake! I have quite a few light colored hatchlings and I regularly hold them up to the light (protecting their eyes, of course) to see what is going on inside them. Pretty straightforward creature, actually. The more complicated the equipment the easier it is to break. Guess it can be an advantage sometimes to not have so much to go wrong. Glad you're taking such good care of him.

I'll try to get pics up. & for what it's worth, this was Joe Pierce baby. I was very pleased with the transaction and am, of course, very pleased with a snake that can withstand a trip through the wash!

Back