• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

overnight temperature

snakey brad

Now it is getting colder in England im starting to have a few problems with the temperature at night. It drops down to about 20 degrees celsius. i think thats about 70 farenhite. Is that alright or do ypu think its getting too cold. Also, when it gets really cold is there anything i can do to heat up the viv?

You could use a heat lamp or an under tank heater to bring the temp up a bit. I don't know maybe one of the more experienced snake owners has a better suggestion :)

As long as the temps on the warm side are at the correct level, this is absolutely fine. It is important for the snake to have that choice. They know how to regulate their temps as needed.

Hey mate.

I'm also from England, and I faced a similar problem. Basically, my juvenile Corn lives in my room, which is always at a constant of roughly 74 degrees. This is obviously the cool temperature, and the warm side stays at about 84-85 degrees. So, you could make sure that the radiator is at a constant temperature. As long as the warm side stays constant, and 70 degrees or just under is as low as it gets, then you shouldn't face too many problems. If it gets even colder, then you may wish to move them to a room where you can keep the temperature constant.

However, there's another way of keeping the temps constant without having to face uncomfortable temperatures in the house. If your snakes vivs are large enough (like at least 30" long by 18" by 18") then you could have either two UTHs or one UTH and a heat lamp. One heat source could be kept at 80 - 85 and the other kept at 70 - 75. If you can afford this then this would be the best option. I have to do this with my Royal Python, otherwise it would get far too cold for her.

Hope that helps

David

ok, they are in my room at the moment but they are next to a window but also a radiater. Maybe moving them away from the window will help a bit? If my brother let me put him in his room which is normally much warmer then the heat may be correct but then there would be a lot of disturbance with music and stuff. But then he probably wouldnt want them in his room. if theres another warmer room in my house ill try moving them there.Thanks for the info above.

Being that we're already on the topic of temperatures. The warm side of my females tank is at 80F and the males at 82F these are okay temps right?

i really dont know. I have a light bulb that will increase the temperature to about 30 celsius and another that will increase the temp th bout 23. I dont know wether 30 it too hot though.???This is the first winter ive had them and im hoping i control the temperatures right so that they dont die...Wish me luck.

I just checked now the warm side is at 90F is that too hott?

Yeah, 90F is too hot. Is the heat source hooked up to a thermostat? If so, turn it down a notch or add more substrate.

Oh and mate, listen, as long as one side is at 80 - 85 and the other at 70 - 75, provided that they're hooked up to a thermostat then you really shouldn't have a problem. Don't turn the heat up for the winter, just keep it constant.

Okay much thanks :) I might switch to under tank heaters just to make things easier. and i have 2 brand new digital therms comming too.
The one i use to take the temp was like a regular household therm.
And the tanke is not hott enough to be 90F, I put my hand in for a bit, feels more like 75F.

ok. But anyway how do you vary the temperature from one side to another by about 10F? Also, its a bit of subject but where abouts do you live in England?

Not sure if that question was directed to me or not becasue I don't live in England.. if it was I'm not entirely sure why or how it vary's that much. as soon as I get my digital therms it will be much easier to tell what the temp actually is.

Brad,

Try searching the forums for things like "heat source" "UTH" "habitat" or "viv pictures"

It probably makes much more sense when you can see a picture of it.

ok. But anyway how do you vary the temperature from one side to another by about 10F? Also, its a bit of subject but where abouts do you live in England?

No I don't mind, well I actually live in South Wales, but I was born in Reading.

Oh and it's simple mate. Basically, both sides have a heat source and they're both monitored using two thermostats. One side is placed at around 82F and the other is set at 72F.

I have just had a very major battle with this problem.

I have set up a heat bulb aswell as 2 UTH's. Sounds exessive but it is because i made a tank from a built in cupboard in the summer. I forgot to factor in the cold in the winter. This caused the tank to get very cold for a few days before i noticed it and my adult corn alsmot went into brumation.

But hey mistakes happen.

Back