• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Painful newbie questions

Nagini33

Bear with me im sure you all answer these a million times, and i did run a search but couldn't find anything with all these variables.

I purchased a hatchling monday. She was getting ready to shed and she was new so in order not to stress her out i didn't offer food on wednesday (which is when i was told she was due for a meal).

She shed today and has been here 5 days. Should i wait until next wednesday to feed her or offer it sooner?

Also it seems like most people feed their hatchlings every 5 days or so. Her breeder fed her once a week. Should i continue once a week b/c thats what shes used to or feed her more often?

i usually wait about a week to feed a new acquisition to allow them time to settle in. You don't have to wait until next wednesday though. I'd probably feed tomorrow or saturday. Every 5 to 7 days is fine for hatchlings. I usually feed my snakes that are on pinks and fuzzies every 5 to 6 days depending on my own schedule.

I wait a week or so. No longer, but not much shorter, either. Then I feed at a five day interval up till the snake is 200G or on adults. But during the baby stage I don't feel terrible if I stretch it out to six days every once in a while, and I don't feel terrible if they skip a meal in blue, either.

Breeders often feed babies every 7 days because they usually have more snakes to feed than people keeping them as pets. I think every 5 days is a good schedule. I'd think your snake would eat two days after shedding - it would be in your possession for a week and that's long enough for it to feel comfortable enough to eat.

ghostvanish.jpg

Nagini33, don't feel bad about being a newbie and asking what you think are painful questions. These people are extraordinary and I have watched as they all go out of their way to help newbies like us in any way the possibly can. I'm learning along with you and I couldn't be happier with all the information cornsnakes.com provides. My Spike is about 4 months old and we are feeding every 5 days- he is just about to move up to fuzzies. He is in deep blue today and was fed 2 pinkies on Tuesday. Best of luck to you!

if you want to see a good feeding plan written down you can look at the munson plan. its awesome if you have a scale to weigh your snake. but you can also kind of judge by prey size and say ok, feeding in this interval of days is a good idea. so it helps in 2 ways.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106

i say you could feed after shed a day or 2. and its good you didnt feed in blue, it could cause a regurge so good on you for that part. dont be ashamed to ask questions on here. were all here to help.

if you want to see a good feeding plan written down you can look at the munson plan. its awesome if you have a scale to weigh your snake. but you can also kind of judge by prey size and say ok, feeding in this interval of days is a good idea. so it helps in 2 ways.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106

i say you could feed after shed a day or 2. and its good you didnt feed in blue, it could cause a regurge so good on you for that part. dont be ashamed to ask questions on here. were all here to help.

Yeah corn snakes are a whole new ball game to me, but snakes in general aren't. I bred garter snakes for a while, but now that I'm in the process of moving to a small apartment i way downsized. Problem is that created way too many empty tanks, which is why i ended up with the little corn.

Garters are so easy. When i get a new one i throw some feeder guppies in its water bowl and wait. Once it starts eating those i put it on a schedule with worms, once its eating on a schedule i switch to scented pinkies. Very rarely i'll have one who goes on a hunger strike but putting them in a bucket with some flopping guppies (no water) usually drives them NUTS.

I'll admitt im a little nervous about feeding her. Nervous isn't a good word...apprehensive maybe? Once she eats once or twice for me I'll feel much much better.

To Nagini33: If the snake was eating for the breeder, in all likelihood it will eat for you.
I've bred both garters and corns, and I can tell you corns are way easier (and less work).
Here are some Santa Cruz Garters that were born here in the Summer:
cruz1.jpg

To themichaelchoi: Those are striped ghosts. Here's a pic of their mother:
ghosteggs.jpg

Very very pretty garters!!

She didn't eat the pink when i had it in my tongs so i dropped it in her feed box, shut the lid, and covered the whole thing with a towel. I'll check again before i go to bed.

My eastern garter is on a hunger strike as well, i think he may be trying to go into brumation. I wasn't planning on brumating him this year though...

I think nearly all of my corns would think I had gone insane if I tried to feed them with tongs! Especially the little babies. I like to just put them in their deli cups and leave them alone.

Back