• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pairs Of Snakes

justjamie

Hey.

I Have a 2007 hatchling corn snake?

i dont know what sex it is, but i am thinking about getting a second snake.

i have a vivarium which is about 20 x 15 x 12 inches, would this be ok to house both of them together as i dont have the room in my bedroom for two tanks etc.

Also, if my snake is a 2007 hatchling, what month is it likely to be born, or do corns breed all year round.

Many thanks

Jay

Snakes are solitary animals and do best housed seperately.
If 2 are housed together and one gets sick, then both are sick.
If one regurges or has runny poo, you don't know which one it is.
Snakes prefer being alone and can get stressed if forced to live with another snake.
If you don't know which sex you have, and end up with a male and a female in the same cage, the male will (not might, WILL) breed with her when she is too young and breeding too young can kill your female.
Then there are the rare cases when one snake will eat its cagemate.

Don't do it. Your snakes rely on you to take care of them, don't risk their health.

thank you very much for your advice.
im glad i asked first, i love the snake ive got now, he/she is ace and wouldn't want anything to happen to it.
will the one snake be ok in the size of the vivarium ive stated above, or is it true they get stressed if the cage is too big?
cheers
jay

thank you very much for your advice.
im glad i asked first, i love the snake ive got now, he/she is ace and wouldn't want anything to happen to it.
will the one snake be ok in the size of the vivarium ive stated above, or is it true they get stressed if the cage is too big?
cheers
jay

Hey mate, welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you understand the dangers of co-habitation and well done for asking first. :)

At the moment, as long as you have at least two hides (one on the warm side and one on the cool side) and a decent amount of cover (you can add artificial plants for this, which also allows your snake to climb), he/she will be fine. You are right in saying that they get stressed should the tank be too big, but what is defined as too big depends on the amount of cover. If you had a huge tank that was almost completely bare, then yeah, that would cause stress, but if the same tank was filled with lots of places to hide, plants, rocks, branches etc. You get the point.

Do you mind if I ask about your set-up?

Just for future reference, as your snake grows you'll have to upgrade to a larger tank, which is the minimum of a 20 gallon 'long' aquarium (36" long * 12" * 12"), but bigger is better (again, as long as cover is provided).

All the best

David

no not at all, i will get a picture up soon to see what you think and you can guide me in the right direction.
im currently trying to build a guard for my bulb, unless you can buy them from anywhere cheap????

can you have the bulb outside the tank as long as there is mesh on the lid for the light and heat to get through?

cheers

Yes, I have lamps that are usually on top of the screen. Only problem I would see is if the snake goes all the way to the top and burns itself, that's when it's best to maybe clip the light a little further from the top.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my vivarium, what do you think?
am sorting the lighting out 2moro night, im gonna get some mesh and house the light from a bracket above the tank.

please, give your opinions, if there is anything i can do to make my snakes life better, i'll do it :)

also, my snake shed last night, and i counted the two rows of scales on the shed and think its a girl cuz there was 127, is this pretty accurate way of sexing?

thanxs

my.php

A good way of determining the gender of your snake is to look at the tail region after the cloaca. An adult male's tail is thicker (to house the hemipenes) for the first several inches just past the cloaca, whereas the female's tail tapers off quickly after the cloaca. It's not 100% accurate, but usually good enough if you're not planning on breeding.

I think your tank looks pretty good, do you feed outside the tank?

Is that a digital thermometer? If so, as long as the temperatures are okay, I don't see a huge problem in using a bulb. What type of bulb is that? The only problem when using bulbs is that they suck the humidity out of an area, so you just have to be a little more careful with the humidity. But since you had a complete shed it looks like you've got that sussed anyway :)

All the best

David

yeh its a digital thermometer. i got that reading the warm end and the little analog thermometer on the cold side, i also got a hydrometer in the middle of the tank reading 65% humidity, is that ok?

also, my viv is bout 28.5° 5n the hot end and bout 26ish in the cold end, is that ok, my snke seems to just hide in the plant pot behind all the shrub in the warm end so it must be ok for him n not too hot???

thanks for all the advice, you've been a great help :)

yeh its a digital thermometer. i got that reading the warm end and the little analog thermometer on the cold side, i also got a hydrometer in the middle of the tank reading 65% humidity, is that ok?

also, my viv is bout 28.5° 5n the hot end and bout 26ish in the cold end, is that ok, my snke seems to just hide in the plant pot behind all the shrub in the warm end so it must be ok for him n not too hot???

thanks for all the advice, you've been a great help :)

You're welcome :)

The humidity is a little high, it should be between 40 - 50% on average. I'd probably attribute that to the overall high temperature, which brings me to my next point...

Warm side temperatue = perfect. Cool side temperature however, too high. It's 79F, and should be between 70 - 75. The rule of thumb is to have the cool side temperature 10F lower that the warm side. If I was you mate, I'd go with a heat mat, they're not very expensive. :)

i think i have no choice to be honest. i think the tank is too small for a bulb, and the bulb is just heating the whole tank instead of just one side :(
im gonna try heating the tank with the bulb out the tank first, cuz the green light really compliments the tank if you get me, and its not in a particuarly over lighted part of my room :(
if the bulb outside dont work, its a heat mat and some sort of lighting i expect.

thanks a lot again for your help lol.

have done a temporary fix to the viv heating problem.
i made a reflector out of card and foil and ive fixed it to the lid of my viv next to the bulb to keep the light over to the warm side, and it seems to be workin :)

think im gonna have to invest ina heat pad and some lighting tho

Back