• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pairs.

MrMatt

I've seen many breeders selling "pairs" of snakes more then likely from related clutches. Is it acceptable to breed related snakes to one another without facing deformities or other serious health concerns?

Thanks

I'm no expert, but with a lot of species of animals, inbreeding usually results in health complications and deformities. The offspring also has a good chance of being fairly aggresive. I would advise against it. In my eyes, very risky.

Inbreeding and line breeding in reptiles is done quite often. It is part of the reason there are so many morphs out there. It is easier to keep the gene's expressed when breeding siblings. Personally I look for "unrelated" snakes of the same genetic mixture, but even then it can get pretty expensive.

Maybe I can get someone who knows a lot more about corn snake genetics to chime in...

I don't know terribly much about corn snakes specifically, but I've read on other forums before that inbreeding in reptiles is done often only so many times without causing any problems unless you continue to breed them together more than once or twice.

If the pair came from a pair of unrelated adults them im ok with inbreeding the siblings. In fact, i have a trio siblings from a sunkissed pewter project that ill be pairing in a couple years. I see no harm in it. However, the F2s will not be bred together, not by me anyway. If the purchasers of the second gens want to inbreed, that will be on them. I think that outcrossing the second time around is the way to go.

Obviously though, there is always an exception to the rule. If you do produce babies with birth defects from the first, ethically i think it would be irresponsible to repeat the pairing. But we all know that now everyone is as ethical as we would like them to be.

In the end, its a judgement call. Im ok with it, to an extent.

Inbreeding in the first generation does NOT usually cause defects nor temperament issues.

Any specific type of purebred dog? Inbred to a degree.

Specific breeds of horses? Inbred to a degree.

Purebred cats? Inbred.

Every single strain of mice? Inbred.Inbred and linebred for at least 40 generations!

Is continued inbreed good for the animals? No. After a couple generations, you're going to want to add new blood. The main issues that seem to pop up in corns is low fertility, small clutch size, small egg size, and non-feeder hatchlings.

Thank You everyone for your response. I have been contemplating breeding corns in 1 1/2 years from now once my current 3 are up to age/size (they will be way before that but I'll be deployed next season). I've done a bit of research and I'm here so that's a good start. I really had no intentions of inbreeding however from what I've read I may reconsider depending upon the generation of the pair. Sometimes I've seen a really nice line advertised and it's only being sold in pairs and that's where this question came from. Once again. Thank you.

i personally would advise against it, because of deformaties, and infertility.. but it is one of the ways to get some of the rarest color morphs! :)

i personally would advise against it, because of deformaties, and infertility.. but it is one of the ways to get some of the rarest color morphs! :)
See response below...
Inbreeding in the first generation does NOT usually cause defects nor temperament issues.

Any specific type of purebred dog? Inbred to a degree.

Specific breeds of horses? Inbred to a degree.

Purebred cats? Inbred.

Every single strain of mice? Inbred.Inbred and linebred for at least 40 generations!

Is continued inbreed good for the animals? No. After a couple generations, you're going to want to add new blood. The main issues that seem to pop up in corns is low fertility, small clutch size, small egg size, and non-feeder hatchlings.

I read a couple of years ago that is was proven with chameleo calyptratus that inbreding caused deformities after 16 generations.

Personally, I agree with fyrefocks.

Back