• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Paranoid hatchling

disturbedstn

As some of you might know from my other posts I have a hatchling red corn had him for about 1 1/2 months and every feeding session he seems to be paranoid while he is digesting his dinner. Now I don't know if this is because I am right there watching him while he is eating or maybe it's just because he is a baby but I was just wanting to find out if I should leave him alone after I tempt him with his pinky or if it's just an age thing like maybe he thinks I'm going to take it away?

More likely he thinks you'll try and eat him while his mouth is occupied and he can't defend himself. You try biting someone with a mouse the size of your head halfway down your throat. :grin01: Just stay perfectly still if you have to tempt him with it, or if you don't leave it in the feeding tub with him.

Thanks for the advice yeah he is pretty cautious when feeding I also have one more question. Is it possible say if I buy a 60 gallon aquarium for him would he take to a younger cage mate or would he possibly be aggressive towards it? This is my first snake period but soon I plan on raising a ball python and California king snake. I plan on breeding later on down the road and would like to have a variety of snakes because my finance is allergic to dog and cat dander and snakes are amazing creatures as I catch myself saying all the time. Owning a corn has opened me up to a whole new world and I find myself every time I'm on the net I find myself looking at different types of snakes.

If you already have a paranoid snake, the last thing you want to do is stress it out with further company. I can think of a lot of reasons to house seperately, and none for it. Corns can be housed together, but it's not the recommended thing to do. Save yourself the trouble of worrying about disease transmission, early breeding, regurge and stress problems and keep each snake in it's own cage. Instead of a 60 gl. get two 30 gl. tanks and keep a snake in each. You can't house Kings together anyway or they'll eat each other.

right I understand that kings have to be on their own. But my corn he is great around other people and even animals he is just a paranoid eater.

Just do a quick search for 'Co-Habitation' and read the threads. Then make up your own mind ;) But I'd definatly advise against it.

At this point you're still new enough to keeping that I would cut down on your risks of problems by housing seperately. You might not be able to recognize the subtle signs of stress that even experienced keepers can miss. I wouldn't take a chance. Especially over the cost of a cheap viv.

MegF. said:
At this point you're still new enough to keeping that I would cut down on your risks of problems by housing seperately. You might not be able to recognize the subtle signs of stress that even experienced keepers can miss. I wouldn't take a chance. Especially over the cost of a cheap viv.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MegF. again.

Ok I didn't mean to imply that I was going to do it now I planned a while down the road but I do believe Slevin is pretty much a loner.

Back