• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

particles a danger??

rebel13

hi! I"m getting a baby corn snake soon and i have a few questions...
first of all i only have a 55 gallon aquarium and a small critter keeper... is it okay to go with the 55gallon if i put a lot of hide spots in it? I already have two, but there's room for more...
2nd.. i have a wooden log, and it flakes a little, leaving small particles on the newspaper... is this bad?? Should i take the log out if its porus and flaking?
About how many months do corns eat pinky mice? I think i'm going to get 50 pinkie mice and 10 fuzzy... will that last me a year? I'm going to feed him every week...
thanks again! I hope i'll have less questions once i get my baby!

55 gallon for a hatchling?? That's a little too big...Even 20L tanks are kind of big for babies...
I think I know what you are talking about with the wooden log. It's ok mine does that too. Is it the Habba Hut half-log hide?

If you feed one food item a week, you only need ~52 rodents a year since there are approximately 52 weeks in a year. BUT you have to keep in mind that the snake is going to be growing and you might have to bump it up to two (or more) pinkies a week after the snake is a few months old and has grown bigger.
My now-yearling ate 5 pinkies at a time when he was 10 months old and 3 pinks at a time when he was 8 mos.

yea it is the habba hut half hide thingy... i guess i can clean the particles out every day or so... so should i use the kritter keeper? Its like 7in long i think... maybe I can block off part of it??
i was counting on having to feed him more than one pinkie after a few months... thanks for the info! about how long will it be until (s)he can be moved to the full 55 gal tank?

Is the critter keeper 7inX7in? That would be a little too small...In that case, use the tank and have LOTS of hides and more than one water bowl. Or you could block off like half of it with something.

Don't worry about the wood pieces from the hide. Your snake won't try to eat it or anything. The only bad thing about it is that it looks bad.

It's great that you have enough space for a 55 gal. I know someone who houses two adults in one. Your snake is going to be happy exploring over its huge home. :)

actually, its 12x7, which i read is big enough for a hatchling to yearling... is this true? i may just go with the 55 gallon and put a lot of hides and stuff like you said... thanks for the advice! I can't wait to get my corn!!

The critter keeper sounds just as big as what I keep my hatchlings in. You could keep your snake in there for a month or two while it settles down and get used to you, and then move it to the tank. But that would just be a hassle.
Try the 55gal first and if your snake eats well and seems ok in that set-up, keep it in there. If it seems stressed out by the big tank, move it into the small critter keeper for a while and try the tank again later on.

Yeah, the critter keeper is big enough for a hatchling but not for a yearling. Arty used to be housed in an 18" by 10" glass viv and it suited her until she was 24" long. She's now only seven/eight months old and 27" so it would never do her until a year. However, it all depends on how much you feed the snake but it still sounds too small.

If I were you, I would block off half of the 55g tank and include several hides. As the snake grows you can make the tank a little bigger and re-arrange the furniture.

Back