• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

pet snake emmigration

dragar

sammy snake begins with S
hi guys im wondering i you can help me with a quick question that has been bugging me for some time.

i am soon to emmigrate from the uk to austrlia within the next few months and i desperatley want to take my pet corns with me. i cant find anywhere on the net that mentions about being able to take snakes with you into the country, if there is anyone that can shed some light on this topic for me it would be much appreciated,

all i want to know is how much it will cost, who i need to speak to and what the rules are in regards to quarantine and things like that.

if someone can find this out i will be eternally greatful as i do not wish to be parted from my beloved corn Sammy!!!

What you're going to need to do is fill out the C.I.T.E.S. paper work, and find a breeder who is an exporter. You would leave your baby with the breeder, and then when you get down there, have the breeder ship him to you. I'm not sure what the cost is, but I know it can get pretty expensive. As far as I know, that's the only way you'd be able to do it. Check with both UK Customs and Australian Customs, as they can probably give you the best answer to this question.

I think...not for sure, But I think Aussie is going to be hard to take your babies to. They are pretty strict on import/export laws. I would definatly start making some calls ASAP and not rely on internet research since it may we out of date.

Or you can get the book "Lizard King" there are tips on how they did it all without paperwork!! ONLY KIDDING!!!!! But truthfully the book is a great read!

I am sorry, but I am pretty sure you will not be able to bring your corn. In fact, you will probably not be allowed to purchase a corn once you are in Australia, either. I have never heard of any individual being given a permit to import non-native herps into Australia. The few corn breeders in Australia must have permits to keep them, and they are not allowed to sell them to anyone who doesn't have a permit, if I remember correctly. I am not sure what is required, but an Australian friend tells me it is very difficult to get the permit.

You will probably be able to get a permit to keep SOME kinds of native Australian herps when you are living there. Each state is different, and some are more restrictive than others, but Australia (and New Zealand) have some of the most draconian herp keeping laws of any developed country I am familiar with.

Wow thank you, i didnt expect so many replies so quick, so you think that it will be near impossible for me to take my herps? thats not really the news that i wanted to hear but somewhat what i expected.

how dissapointing, so now i need to find a buyer for them lol il go on to the other forums for that one

but thank you all who replied

I've been looking at this problem for a while.... But for different reasons.....
You can start looking here....
This company claims to be Australias largest reptile dealer

Ultimate Reptile Suppliers
You'll find the emails for the people you want at the bottom....
This could be of interest to you as well...
More information taken from World Congress of Herpetology
What your planning isn't impossible... It just depends on how much money your willing to throw at it.......
It's worth noting that Australia has some very nice snake of their own which are cheap and easy to get........

Thanks for the links!

The second line under the first link says:

"Unfortunately we are prohibited by law from Importing and Exporting Reptiles Overseas!" So that doesn't sound very promising.

Bill was actually a presenter at the World Congress of Herpetology when it was held in Australia. He had a great time there. But they knew he was with the herp group, and made him dismantle his camera when he left so they could check for herps small enough to fit into it, I guess. This excerpt from your link gives a good idea of the mindset of Australian wildlife officials:

"Prior to the congress Australian authorities received 12 applications from overseas based herpetologists to export reptiles from Australia for scientific purposes. All 12 were rejected. The reason was simple, 'Australia won't allow the export of wildlife for any reason'. Such a blinkered attitude does nothing for Australia's conservation of wildlife or our international reputation. It only serves to increase the incentive for otherwise law-abiding people to break wildlife laws. Such did in fact occur. One delegate got busted for bringing a few preserved specimens into the country, while another was caught for importing live freshwater tortoises. A third attendee was picked up for carrying dope (marijuana/Indian hemp/cannabis) when strip-searched upon arrival at Sydney's Mascot airport.
Federal and state wildlife and customs authorities had a full-scale national operation planned around the congress. Officials got hold a list of all attendees to the congress and many were closely watched on the presumption of guilt when they were merely going about their lawful business. Two separate people complained of being followed by officials in their cars immediately following the congress. Strip-searches and baggage searches were more vigorous than usual. An American delegate gave me an electronic tracking chip placed under a wheel on his suitcase by officials without his knowledge when he arrived into Australia. It isn't certain how many others were marked in this way. However I cannot help but think that if the Australian authorities weren't so tight on the legal import and export of reptiles and other wildlife, then perhaps they wouldn't have to waste so much money on enforcement - or is it just a case of bureaucrats doing this to justify their existence."

A friend in Australia has been telling me for years that they feel they are closer to a very limited ability to export a few easy to breed Aussie herps, but it hasn't happened so far, AFAIK. Of course, if they now decide to allow export of easily bred species such as bearded dragons - they have missed the boat! They are already cheap and plentiful in the U.S. and Europe, lol! He has never mentioned anything in the works about importation TO Australia.

Have you heard of any private people who have legally imported INTO that country? I am unaware that anyone has been able to accomplish that daunting task!

Ha Ha Ha, daunting is an understatement....LOL..
I put up the links so people can see the truth, and not listen to hear say...
When I said it's not impossible, I meant it. But the amount of money it would cost you, and you may not succeed, doesn't make it worth while getting a couple of cornsnakes in.....

I think they're particularly wary of any non-native species that could survive in the wild, after the problems they've had with Cane Toads and rabbits. I've no doubt that an accidental Corn escapee in the wrong (or right, depending on how you look at it) part of Aus, could find a very comfortable habitat and thrive, with goodness-knows-what impact on the native animal population.

Even fruit and veg are suspect at entry points. My Mum was picked up by a sniffer dog in Perth airport after spilling orange juice on her bag during the journey, and was nearly hauled off to be searched "thoroughly". Luckily, the jetlag kicked in and the security guys didn't feel like dealing with an over-wrought, hysterical woman!

Back