• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Petco Corns

IguanaMama

Love at first sight
Does anyone here happen to know who supplies Petco with their snakes? I just got one from Petco, and I know a lot of people say stay away from pet stores, but I really liked this snake. I wanted another '04, but didn't want to mail order it so I figured I was kind of limited to Petco. I thought all the snakes looked really nice so I'm willing to bet they came from a decent supplier (breeder) anyway. Just wondering.

I know at least some of their reptiles come from the same place their mice do...Gourmet Rodent

Hard to say for sure though.

Yes, Gourmet Rodent supplies Petco with their corns and boas and also other assorted reptiles.

Whether you purchase from a pet shop, including Petco, really depends on the care and cleanliness that particular shop happens to have. I know some people say you should never do so at all and they have their views on it. But the way I see it, some are good, some or mediocere, and some are just plain attrocious. IF you find that the store you frequent takes proper care of their animals and keeps their housing clean, then I, myself see no problem with purchasing from them. IF you see that their cages are not kept clean, and that includes rodent housing and bird housing, then I wouldn't touch their pets. If one section of pet's housing is ill cared for, then you can surmise that, even if the housing of the snake looks ok at that visit, that they are not properly cared for and you could easily be buying a problem.

I happen to have a very well kept Petco near me that I have purchased a few corns from. In fact, my very first ones came from there. Accept for those 4 corns and 2 boas, all of my large crew of snakes come from breeders. I personally would stick basically to known breeders, but sometimes a certain snake will just take your fancy and you just "have" to buy it. :)

Here are my "Petco" purchases. The anery stripe was purchased this year (the only corn petstore purchase this year) because I fell in love with his looks and he came home with me.

Good luck with your new pet. I'm sure you are going to enjoy it.

Attachments

• 10`17`04-Licorice-arial-mos.jpg
    10`17`04-Licorice-arial-mos.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 9`26`04-Bess-all-deli.jpg
    9`26`04-Bess-all-deli.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 278
  • Artex-side-deli-eating-12`1.jpg
    Artex-side-deli-eating-12`1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 11`16`04-Charlie-Diamond-ar.jpg
    11`16`04-Charlie-Diamond-ar.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 270
Wow, they are beautiful. I agree it is all how well each store takes care of their reptiles. The store close to me does a pretty good job, if I see something i dont like, i call the animal coordinator for my area and he goes to check it out. I got my first BP from there and she is very healthy and in excellent condition. Good luck with your corn and please post some pics. :santa:

GEE those snakes are gorgeous, you have a real eye for picking beauties. I'm so wild about my new Petco snake, I've also gotten a few really nice PET fancy mice (NOT FEEDERS!)

My store is really clean, but the sales staff leaves a bit to be desired. They sometimes give out wrong info. One time one of them dropped a mouse on the floor and told me to just leave it, it's gone. Next thing there's all 250 lbs of me crawling on the floor chasing after it turning red sweat pouring out, I got it of course, but not a pretty site! Also, it would be nice if I knew who the parents were of my new snake, as I think I will breed it, but suprizes are nice too.

Those are definitely some nice Petco snakes you have there. The one by me, actually has some nice little reptiles, just illegal corns. I liv ein Jersey and only red eyed morphs are allowed. The were carrying earlier this year anerys and ghosts. The funniest thing is that they were ignorant fo the laws and claimed "they did not know" the laws. Kind of funny in a way

eddie1976 said:
Those are definitely some nice Petco snakes you have there. The one by me, actually has some nice little reptiles, just illegal corns. I liv ein Jersey and only red eyed morphs are allowed. The were carrying earlier this year anerys and ghosts. The funniest thing is that they were ignorant fo the laws and claimed "they did not know" the laws. Kind of funny in a way

hmm thats weird y would they have a law like that?

any way both my snakes came from petco =D
and they both look exceptionly (spelling?) fine to me
i snow and 1 norm

New Jersey does not allow normal corns or black eye morphs, so no one will be tempted to go out and take some native species. Corns are endangered in NJ

:-offtopic
Dianne that little boa on the left is CLEAN...thats a definate "diamond in the rough" find there...

i have always heard to stay away from petstores... i ended up doing a search for herp societies near me, Jim Curran knew what he was doing, smart man and great breeder :twoguns:

I stopped by my local petco recently and was extremely impressed. They had redone the whole reptile section. Brand new tank racking system and everything was clean, with all the reptiles looking extremely happy. I was a little suprised to see that they were selling a baby burmese python though. Good luck to the parent that chooses that snake by accident as a pet for their kid haha. I was also a little suprised to see that they were selling a few corns with black eyes, being that this was in new jersey and i thought that was illegal. oh well, i wont tell.

The petco in deptford was selling "black" snows. Even after being informed of the illegality of the cornsnakes they said they did not care. Maybe big corporations are above the law.

i dont know about that i mean i dont think they could get over the law but they might display them differently, so they can het around this issure. maby they bread them ya never know
:crazy02: :crazy02:

Even if they bred hem themselves. The fact still stands that non red eye morphs are illegal in NJ. A dumb law but a law none the less. I had to jump through hoops jus tto be able to keep some of the butters that I breed. At least they have yellow eyes

oh i didnt know that is that jsut a Nj law or is it across the state?

It is a statewide New Jersey law. Corns are located here, but endangered. SO they decided that no black eye morphs, or else there was a possibility someone got it out of the wild. All those wild lavenders running around are tempting I am sure

wow and that is true but i dont know if i would take one from the wild, you dont know how they will act, but thta is because i know better but i know what you mean. but that is just common sence i mean you should be able to take care of your snakes and if they are afraind of them "excaping" then they should give up that Job

If your talking about my question, it is directed to diane or anyone who can answer it. Sorry I did'nt clarify that.

Back