• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Petco has a sale on Carefresh.

xelda

It's only for the small 10L bag, but right now until 11/21 it's buy 1 get 1 free. :santa:

I just started using carefresh for the first time because it was on sale at my petstore, but I'm going to go back to Aspen. I really dislike the way it clumps in the viv, and it is constantly getting in the water dishes. It's also difficult to see the poops in because of the color. I'm going to give the rest of the bag to my friend next time he's down from Nevada. He likes putting his rattlesnakes on it when he travels with them, because it makes a nice cushion in their cages.

I personally like Carefresh much better than aspen. The clumping makes it easier to do spot-cleaning. I'm using the bleached Carefresh (not the original gray version) , so poops are incredibly easy to find. I don't really see how aspen is any less likely to fall into the waterdish than Carefresh, but I would much rather have my corns accidentally ingest a small bit of Carefresh than a small aspen splinter while they're drinking water.

The stuff we get is only grey, not white. I can see where the white would be easier to see. I just find when they crawl thru it, it gets very high clumps that then fall in the water all the time. The aspen tends to stay level even if they crawl under it, it returns to the original level when they pass and so it doesn't get up over the lip of the water dish. If one little piece of aspen does get in there, it doesn't contaminate the whole bowl. One piece of carefresh tends to expand into a huge glop in there......kind of gooey. I'm just going to switch back I think. You could have my bag if you were close!

I tried carefresh for a while, but decided against it as it was too dusty for my liking.

Thanks for the sale alert though - always nice to share information like that with each other.

What is carefresh, and why is it safe to injest if it CLUMPS?? And bleached? AND dusty??

*goes to do a net search*

it is a recycled paper product, it comes in grey coloured clumps when I have bought it
I find that it has too much associated grey dust which builds up on the cage floor under the clumps

I think it's possible the original gray Carefresh is dustier than the new white version? I'm using the Carefresh Ultra, which doesn't seem dusty to me at all, well, not any dustier than aspen anyway. :p

As a side note, I just wanted to mention that I take this substrate stuff pretty seriously. I've spent a long time reading through quite a bit of this forum's archives, including the stories from a couple of regular users who encountered fatal impaction issues even without ever feeding their corns in their enclosures. That was enough to make me switch all of my corns off of the aspen. I still have a small collection of snakes, only 7 colubrids, so paying a little extra for a safer substrate works fine for me.

Back