• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Phoenix: M 2008 Boot Key Rosy Ratsnake (Strange Cargo)

Nanci

Alien Lover
Introducing Phoenix! Graham Criglow produced a clutch in 2008 and the entire clutch was sold, OOE, to Byron De Stouet, who raised them up. The parents are wild-caught at Boot Key, Florida, and the babies are a pure locality strain. They are very scarce in captivity and I am SO thankful that Byron decided to part with a pair.

Attachments

• Phoenix Arrives 010cr.jpg
    Phoenix Arrives 010cr.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 164
Okay, so these guys are nothing like cornsnakes! Right now they are considered by most to be "just" an isolated locality, and by some to be a subspecies. The difference is immediately apparent! Phoenix weighed in at 66g, as a coming two year old. But he's _so_ long! He feels like a rough green snake- thin, wirey, arboreal.

Attachments

• Phoenix Arrives 004cr.jpg
    Phoenix Arrives 004cr.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 164
And then there's the belly...Completely uncheckered. I wish I could have gotten a better pic (and I will for their registration pics) but at this point Phoenix demonstrated that he could do a death roll. I figured he'd had enough, traveling all the way from Long Beach CA to Florida!

Attachments

• Phoenix Arrives 018cr.jpg
    Phoenix Arrives 018cr.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 162
Last pic- look at his cool eyes!! I can't wait till they get settled in and I can get better pictures.

Thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• Phoenix Arrives 001cr.jpg
    Phoenix Arrives 001cr.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 161
Nanci, they are beautiful. The 'other' pics did not do them justice. :D ;)
I can't wait to get to look at them up close.

I can't wait for _someone_ else, one of my snake-loving friends, to get to experience them in person! And Graham gave me the coolest idea for hides!! I can't wait to test it out and report. Right now Phoenix has a (fake) turtle carapace and a cork bark and a paper towel tube. I think they would also like hammocks.

What a neat looking snakie! Great photos with the flowers.

Thank you! Phoenix was so funny- like he'd never seen a flower before, and he kind of wanted to check it out, but he was also tired and anxious from his trip and wanting to be set down to relax.

These guys are whopping big adults now. NOT happy about being photographed!! I'll try, though :)

You know, I put them together a couple times this season, but they didn't mate, and I didn't pursue it. Maybe next year?

Nancy, did they stay smaller than your other corns? My Keys pair still look like skinny Minnies compared to my other corns

No, they are big, robust, extremely strong snakes. They feel like holding a piece of heavy, stiff cable. Phoenix is closing in on 500 grams and Scarlett is in the mid 400's. They are fed a 22-24 gram adult mouse every two weeks.

Back