• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

pinkies bunched together

REPTILEGUYJC

hi guys. heres my issue. i got a bag of 25 pinks from the expo a while back when i got my snake. i was able to separate a few of the pinks..and thats what ive been using to feed. but theres about 15 or so bunched together, because they kind of thawed on the ride home and ended up in a ball inside the bag. so now its a frozen ball of pinks. am i able to slightly thaw them out while in the bag and slowly separate them, then refreeze them? i never thaw a pinky directly in water. i put it in another ziplock and place the ziplock in water. this way all the blood and juices are still on it when my snake eats. all advice appreciated. thank you

thawing them as a unit would work. i'd personally bang them slightly against the counter to separate them.

so i can thaw them a little and refreeze?? because i read in a lot of sites that its bad to refreeze a pinky once its thawed. not sure if that holds any truth though. especially since i dont take it out of the bag to thaw.

there is a slight risk of bacteria growing, but since many species divide about every twenty minutes, you should be fine. they can even be mostly frozen, sine you only need the ice bonding them to melt.

Unless there's actual ice holding them together, while still very frozen, they should pop apart with the tip of a knife or scissors. I'd try *not* to thaw them at all if possible, but I don't know how wet they were.

IMO just take a flathead screwdriver to it and pop them off the ball as you need them. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Trying to break off a pinky while its still frozen could result in the pinky breaking in half. Then you would have only part of a pinky.:cry:You should just run some hot water over the pinky you want until it seperates from the ball. That way the pinkies around it are only slightly thawed and will refreeze fine. And you come out with a whole pinky.:licklips:

Back