• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

pinkies?

Abbya

i got a new little girl, and i bought two live pinkies for her since we live 30 minutes from the pet store. shes used to eating live but i think im going to get her on f/t food. i plan on freezing one of the mice, but will the other one last a day or two till i feed her? or should i just freeze it too? :confused:
thanx.

more questions about feeding...

pinkies are kinda expensive at the Pet Warehouse- $.99 each. Should I just deal with it or would it be cheaper to buy online.. or would it be practical to breed my own for one snake?
thanx again :)

If you like lil furry mice and don't mind the smell, sure, go and breed em, they're cute lil things. But the smell can be overpowering if you have too many males around (I keep 2 males and rotate them so they don't get tired out). Also, they tend to produce way too many offspring for just one snake even with just a single female, and the female will get worn out real quick if you constantly breed it. I usually keep 4 females and 2 males around and breed them staggered, so one of them breeds the first week, the next week another female gets bred with the resting male, and then the third week, the first male gets bred to the 3rd female, and 4th to second male, and then all the mice rest for a month before going again, since by that time I have more than enough mice. I keep my mice healthy too, and they give me big litters, usually 10 or more, I even take them to the vet once in a while to get them free of parasites and such. Also I keep a few of the young ones alive for future breeding.

The females I keep together in the same tank, and they share the babysitting work between themselves, I only separate them when I introduce one of them to a male when I need to breed, and the males are solitary, and I play with them everyday so they don't get depressed.

You should kill the pinkie if you're not going to feed it right away. Pinkies need food like every 4 hours, and if you starve it for a day, it's kinda on the mean side. Just break their necks, they'll thank you for it.

-13mur 6

it would not be really that necessary to breed mice for 1 or two snakes. It might be cheaper and more convenient to buy online in small bulk (30-40 pinkies). If you get too many, you wont use them all and you will just end up wasting money by throwing some bad ones out. Look around online and find some cheap pinkies. Hope this helps!

Another solution, rather than buying online is to find a small reptile breeder near you that also breeds mice or buys in quantity. He will usually sell you all the mice you need for about half the cost of the pet stores. There are several regular contributors to the forum in the Missouri Ozark area, and if you ask, you can probably find someone close.

In addition, you might just find a lot of other things like:

help in finding a qualified reptile vet in your area if you need one
a source of advice on various other herp. issues
a source for other types or morphs of herps.

Mark

Back