• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pissy Snake...help!

Malaika

Sonno Eterno
Hi all!

I'm having problems with Isha, my 07 amel. All her life she has been very gentle, NEVER aggressive, to the point where I didn't know that corn snakes could rattle their tails until I came across another one.

A few weeks ago, I moved out of the dorms and back home to Cleveland for a week. Isha went with me. Then I moved to my new apartment and put Isha in a new tank with a new hide and new toys. Ever since then, she's been rattling her tail, evading being held, and not cooperating at all when she's being held. She's even looked like she was going to bite me a few times, and she's NEVER even struck before. She got her new tank a little over a week ago.

What happened to my corn snake?!

Relocating can be very stressful for a corn snake. Having to relocate twice in a short period is even that more stressful.

Give her 7-10 to settle in. Covering her viv with a towel or sheet will add even more privacy and may help Isha feel more secure.

A different environment....They're not the brightest of animals and the change is enough to unsettle her....She'll calm down again one day I expect....

Is she in "blue" and getting ready to shed? That would also cause her to be stressed and maybe lash out at you more then normal.

Moving is stressful for animals as it is for people.

you changed your snake's world around, new cage, new hide, new everything. She is disorientated and is nervous. Treat her like a new snake right now and just take it easy on her. She is an 07 so there should be no fear of her biting. I mean, what kind of damage can an 07 inflict? Give her about a week or 10 days of her time. Don't hold her or really bother her except for feeding and changing water.
The slowly start to hold her, around 5 minutes at a time. Start to extend this time slowly. She should be fine. When corn snake rattles its tail, its their way of saying stop bothering me.

A few weeks ago, I moved out of the dorms and back home to Cleveland for a week.

Moving to Cleveland could make anyone nervous!
(j/k - I love it there.)

Hope your little one settles in quickly for you. Where are you now? Is this where you're staying for a while?

I'm wondering if what I do for sensitive fish might work? I drape the tank with a dark cloth or even a dark trash bag (leaving the lid open to air, of course) and leave them alone for a few days, and then gradually open it slowly so as not to spook them. Maybe it would work for your snake? Maybe also some extra cover and hides, TP rolls and other clutter in his tank would help as well.

*edit* Oops, I see Rich in KY already mentioned this. Sorry 'bout that!

Covering her viv with a towel or sheet will add even more privacy and may help Isha feel more secure.

A new cage doesn't matter with a Corn Snake. The important question is, are you feeding the snake in the cage. If so, stop it. Get a rubber made container one size up from a shoe box, drill some holes in it and feed her in that. After a few feedings she shouldn't look like she's thinking about biting you. Keep handling her often, but no more than 15-20 minutes everyday.

A new cage doesn't matter with a Corn Snake. The important question is, are you feeding the snake in the cage. If so, stop it. Get a rubber made container one size up from a shoe box, drill some holes in it and feed her in that. After a few feedings she shouldn't look like she's thinking about biting you. Keep handling her often, but no more than 15-20 minutes everyday.

I would have to say that the new cage can matter...as well as relocation.
Just moving our 2 corns from the lower level to the upper level of our house stressed them out. They were flighty and turned into little rattlers for a couple weeks (and we did not even change their tanks.)
When we changed the viv of our first corn he was so stressed he stopped eating for several weeks.:(

There is quite a debate about whether or not feeding in the viv contributes to bites or not.
Some folks think that if your snake is removed and placed in a separate container for feedings then they are 'conditioned' to go into feeding mode whenever removed from their viv.
The thinking goes that if you feed the snake in the viv (put the food item in a shallow container so they do not ingest substrate) then they only associate the container with the food in the viv with being fed. (of course once the item has been eaten and the snake is off to their hide you remove the container).

Others think thst if you feed in the viv they associate their home with eating no matter the situation.

I know that with one of our '07s it does not seem to matter, she is pretty laid back even when it comes to feeding. But with our male 07 he is still is in feeding mode a day before feeding day and for a good long time after and trying to transfer him in or out brings strikes and constriction...he a fiesty little guy.

As everyone else has said, your snake has not become 'mean', just a bit unsettled. Take your time you will both get settled in and calmed down soon enough, although it will feel like forever:)

A new cage doesn't matter with a Corn Snake.

It seems to be an individual thing, but it definitely does matter to some. Most of mine are pretty bombproof, but I have two that go on a feeding strike if they're moved into a different viv in the same room, just a few inches away. It takes them weeks to settle down again.

Maybe yours is just a creature of habit like that, Malaika? I think she's more than likely just nervous of new surroundings/sights/smells/sounds, and that she'll calm down again with time and patience.

Back