• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

plain red bulbs??

luciano

Can I use any kind of red light bulb as a night heat source for my corns? (The kind that you buy at any Depot)
Thanks
:D

I'm not sure if there is one certain reptile light you should use, but the main thing to be aware of is wattage. You need to make sure it will not get too hot for your snake. Hope that helps.

i doubt your corn would appreciate having a lamp as a night heat source as they are mostly nocturnal. Darkness is a Corn`s friend....
I have a 40 watt blue lamp and a 7watt uth.. combined they give daytime temps in the 80`s at the hot end whilst at night, the UTH maintains a pleasant substrate temp although air temp drops into the 60`s....

blito, Corn snakes cant see red light, so thats why you CAN use red lights at night and the corn will still think its night time.

luciano, Im sure you can use a red heat light at night, but just try and make sure that it is hotter during the day than at night.

Cheers

Alex

Alex.. fine about them not seeing red light.. but what wave lengths do they see? and can they see wavelengths we can`t?
To us a lamp may appear red but thats because the dominant wavelength is the red spectrum (red has the longest wave of any colour) but because we see it as red it`s not to mean that there are no other wavelengths present that a corn might be able to see.
I`m no expert on corn`s eyesight but i am an expert on colour (its my job :) ) and so i wouldn`t rule out the possiblility of the corns being spooked by night time illumination of any shade.
I could be wrong though :D

no need to apologize m8...
i can well believe the "they can`t see red" thing , but if they don`t see the red wavelengths they will still see the other wavelengths present, i think, meaning it might not be bright light to them but they will still see some sort of light... but like i said i`m no expert on animal eyes.. i understand how the human eye sees colour and i understand how colour is made up of a combination of energy waves emitted from a heat source..... doesn`t make me an expert on corns and doesnt necesarily make me right on this matter.. i`m just stating my thoughts... so you have no need to apologise...
maybe someone better informed can clarify things and improve upon our own theories.......

Back