• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

please help! creamsicle or not?

originally i thought she was a creamsicle. but the more I research The less I know about identifying a creamsicle. I was told she was a creamsicle, but i have never seen an exact match. in fact I've seen closer matches to reverse okatees and this article about red albinos.
http://www2.mcdaniel.edu/Biology/labanimalsweb/acornsnake/albino.html

here are some photos they aren't great, but hope you can see.thankyou

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/dllsninjaturtle/IMAG0036.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/dllsninjaturtle/IMAG0038.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/dllsninjaturtle/IMAG0007-1.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/dllsninjaturtle/IMAG0006.jpg

From what I've been told, they can't really be visually distinguished. That the best way to know is to research its genetics. Who told you that it was a creamsicle? If it was the breader they probably know what they were talking about, if it is someone looking at a picture then it is probably just a guess.

It was someone looking at a picture. I bought her from a Reptile store. I tried to pry everything i could from the store owner but he didn't know much, and wouldn't say much.

those two can be told apart although it can be a little difficult. I would call your snake an amel,also known as a red albino. Creams Ickes tend to have an overall more orange color to them.

yeah thats kinda what i been thinkin. also i dont know if this means much but i read here that the rat snake has a crappier attitude than a corn. if thats any sign Dixie is the sweetest.

There are many on here who can tell visually if a corn is a creamsicle, I'm not one of them. Creams vary in color look at SMR's website you will see three colorations of Creams. I have one and he is very mellow, have never heard they are more aggressive. Since Creamsicle is a hybrid, if you were told it is and you plan to breed I would always consider yours a Creamsicle.

I thought Id get a definitive answer for sure here.

You won't, because they can vary as much as any amelanistic corn can. Creams originally were produced by the F1 50/50 het amelanistic crosses either bred back to each other or the amelanistic corn parent. Over years these crosses of varying emory rat/corn percentages have been bred into other amel corns, reducing the emory rat snake influence further, and (i would imagine; not an expert) making it even harder for those that would know to tell them aprt...Let alone someone new to the hobby.

You bought it as a creamscicle, so I'd call it one. there are much and more emory rat/corn cross morphs being worked with year after year. Should ever want to get into breeding her, you'd have plenty of snakes to choose from and be able to "keep it in the family", so to speak :)...

You bought it as a creamscicle, so I'd call it one. ...

From what I can tell the OP did NOT buy it as a Creamsicle, SOMEONE else saw a picture of it, and said it looked like a creamsicle.HTHs

I would not base an opinion, on any of those pics. Sorry.

I have to agree with many of the comments.

If bought as a creamsicle then its probably a cream

if bought as a corn and someone photo identified it as a cream then its probably a corn.

As for the differences if its amel and has 1% emory its a cream. I can tell you from creating and breeding both amels and creams. Creams are not all orange, they might not even be more orange than an amel miami. Hybrids will often throw offspring that are highly varied, including some that will look EXACTLY as mom and some that will look EXACTLY like dad.

Early creams aka F1 and even later will have yellow orange and red looking albino offspring. I produce some every year that can pass as fluorescent or amel corns. I normally seperate them by "red creamsicle, creamsicle, yellow creamsicle. Then there are those carrying okeetee lines with thick white borders again i have some of these with red and orange saddles. Yet I can say 100% they are creamsicles.

Yes creamsicle are normally desired for their orange, and I know there are some that pull the good orange ones from a clutch to sell as creams and any redder types get sold off as amels or fluorescents.

I see too many dealers, shops or whomever selling snakes by morph appearance and not by genetic background. This is where the benifits of registered stock and maybe paying more from a respectable trustworthy come into play.

But in the end i am sure its a good snake and hope you are happy with it.

Back