• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

chuck1289

I'm Old Greggggggg
I just took a look at bell she has started her shedding cycle for the 2nd time in 2 months is this normal? Plus i looked in her water dish and i noticed and small black specs in the water.

With closer inspection it looks like it maybe a mite or tick (whatever one is the smallest one). But i looked around the eyes of my snake and i can't see any infestation around the eyes.

Is it just dust or as soon as she comes out of shed should i give her a damn good bath? I mean if they are mites i don't see where they came from unless i got them from the substrate or when i got Bell she already had them.

I don't have any more snakes and there was only one spec in the water and i thought i could see legs on it but still i can't see any other signs of infestation.

Can someone please tell me how i can get some ground evidence that my snake is infested with mites? I really hate mites and ticks they make me itch when i think about them !!! My other question is can cat fleas infest a snake? Please help me!! I would also like to point out that the other day i put some branches from outside in the tank and i DID properly prepare them before i put them in her viv. :shrugs::uhoh:

Okay..as for your snake shedding in such a quick time..I wouldn't worry so much about it..snakes shed VERY quickly when they are younger and frequently..as they get older and bigger their sheds happen after longer periods of time..

Now as for the black things in the water..I wouldn't take any chances..just because you haven't seen anything on your snake doesn't mean a problem does not exist...this is just me remind you...I am a very cautious person..First off..what kind of bedding do you have your snake on? It could just be mites from the bedding..if that is the case you might have to get a new bag of bedding..If the mites are from the snake..best way to deal with that is the give the snake a good bath and buy some mite off from your local pet store..keep your snake on some paper towl for a week..if you don't see anything it could be the bedding..if you still see black spots on the paper towl or in the water..it could be the snake...but the mite off and bathe the snake once a week..give the tank a thorough cleaning and keep a good eye on the snake's eyes and nose..good luck and keep us posted..

I use bark from my reptile shop for her bedding and i'm thinking that if she does have mites it is from that.There is only 1 spec in the water dish and i'm going to take action as soon as she has shed (I don't want to disturb her).

Can you get the speck under a good magnifying glass or even a microscope to make sure it's a bug and not little bits of bark? If you pour the water through a white kitchen towel (paper) could you tell if it was moving?

Since it's not unusual for a little one to shed monthly (one of mind is shedding for the second time this month! Would that make it a "Blue Shed"?), the specks might just be coincidental. Better to verify a problem before starting up a solution.

I did pour the water through a white kitchen towel and i couldn't find a magnifier i think i wont take a risk.As soon as she comes out of shed im getting her a bath and some mite spray!!! Plus could anyone tell me a cheap online reptile shop that i could buy bedding from.I live in the UK :)

you could always try "Reptilesupply.com"...I'm pretty sure they ship anywhere and they are very reliable :0)

Back