• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Please help!!

Pyro

Please help!!:: UpDated With Pics

Today when i was holding Pyro he was crawling through my hand and part of his scales just ripped off, its nowere near time to shed, because he did a couple days ago, what should i do? is this gonna be fixed when he sheds again? underneath the scales is white skin type stuff, please please help, I dont want Pyro to die or anything bad happen to him:(

Thanks
-Pyro

Last edited:
Was his shed a couple of days ago complete? I mean...all in one piece. If not, then it could just be some retained skin that did not come off. If that is the case, then put him in a small container with some damp (not wet) paper towels for a couple of hours. That should help to get the rest of the skin off. If there is some left after that, it should be moist enough for you to gently rub it off.

If it did all come off in one piece, then I am not sure what's going on.

It was complete, but some of the scales were kind of crinkled, so that may have made it so that part ripped off, but my main concern is will he be okay and will it be fixed the next time he sheds?

If your certain that it was his scales that were ripped off, I would place him on paper towels until his next shed...

By placing him on paper towels this helps eliminate some chances for infection...The scales that were ripped of will eventually heal over in the next couple of sheds and be barely noticeable...

Thank you so much!!!!!!!! :D

I'm gonna have my dad help me change his bedding when he gets home from work.

Thanks
-Pyro

Sometimes the scales will looked raised if the humidity is too low. Skin flaws will take several sheds to repair damange.

Pic 1

heres a picture of his tail, its kind of blurry but you can still tell that theres is definatley something wrong with it, what do you guys suggest?, what do you think is happaning? is it rotting?

Attachments

• tail1 cropped.jpg
    tail1 cropped.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 231
hard to tell much from that photo

Is there any chance that the humidity is too high? Condensation on the glass is an indicator of that. If any water spills onto those shavings, the humidity will skyrocket and the snake will have to lay on a damp substrate. I'd suggest dry newspapers, at least for a while, with plenty of water availible. Good luck.

sorry about the photo being so blurry, ill try to get a clearer one then ill post it in a couple of min

Good one

Heres a clear good picture of the damage

Attachments

• badtail1.jpg
    badtail1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 149
And this is the tank setup currently, im getting a big 75 gallon soon though

Attachments

• tank-setup.jpg
    tank-setup.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 142
I'm probably wrong but it looks kind of like burn marks. If there is a heat lamp his skin could of touched, or if there is a very hot heat pad he could of gotten burnt on that.

Looks like a burn to me also. I use a heat lamp sitting on top of my enclosure, and I thought that there was no way my snakes could get to it, but using the lip arount the top of the aquarium, one of my corns managed to wedge herself up there, right below the light bulb.

She got a couple of minor burns (thankfully, they were more like singed scales), but nothing too serious. They were healed and completely gone after two sheds.

I knew that they were burns, because I (I know, maybe a little weird) immediately smelled them when I saw them (trying to smell for infection, in my experience, bad infection really stinks) and they smelled kinda like singed human hair.

Hope this helps...
JCD

If there's a good reptile vet near where you live, I think a trip might help find out what it is.
In the meantime, if you haven't already, I'd stop handling him and switch him to paper towels to help reduce any more possible scale damage.

Well, the reason i cant take him to the vet is because there arent any reptile vets anywere near i live, and my mom refuses t take a snake to the vet, she considers it a "disposable Pet"

Actually there are many reptile vets in Kansas.

No offense but you shouldn't own an animal you cannot take care of, and not going to the vet with this problem means you aren't taking care of him. I suggest you either save up money really fast or tell your Mother she is acting like a child and being very irresponsible and morally wrong by letting an animal possibly suffer.

It could be a burn or rotting skin, or infected skin. Either untreated could lead to death. You at LEAST need to keep this nasty wound clean. At LEAST. But a vet is needed to make sure infection is not spreading and the skin isn't rotting away IMHO. It could turn into gangrene (sp) and spread or it could turn out to go away. But the chances are really risky. If you cannot even afford this vet trip then obviously you have never even taken this snake for any sort of medical care or fecals. If he does have parasites, an injury like that could make them explode. As in, stress can lead to parasite problems getting larger.

I am not saying you are bad person but you need to take action as this could be nothing or something like I said.

VETS in your state:
http://www.petsbuy.com/q_/aspx/subcatid.365/_q/petownerlinks.htm

http://www.wnyherp.org/hs-kansas.html

Blister disease?!?

Any chance the snake has sat for days in wet substrate or hung out for long periods of time in his water bowl? If so, try DRY paper, a smaller bowl, and no handling. Secondly, and I HATE to suggest this without a vet check up, you could rub Neosporin over the blistered area. That will help fight off infection, but isn't easy to do in a cage with wood shavings. Good luck and, please, try to get that animal to a vet.

Sometimes I wonder...

why we even bother...

Pyro PM'd me before posting this thread asking my opinion about his snake. I told him that it looked like the snake could have a skin infection and that the snake needed to be seen by a vet. I did not think of a burn at the time because burns are usually on the ventral side instead of the dorsal side. Anyway, I also told him that in the meantime, he could place the snake on paper towels. I told him he could gently wash the area with a mild anti-bacterial soap, rinse it well, and then apply neosporin to try to keep the "sore" from getting worse.

I am VERY frustrated, because Pyro KNOWS his snake needs to see a vet...and he is making excuses to not take care of the snake. NO animal should ever be viewed as "DISPOSABLE." You got a pet...that means you took on the responsibility of caring for that pet...no matter what it needs! If you aren't old enough to cover expenses, then your parents took on that responsibility when they allowed you to get a pet.

BOTTOM LINE...IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO TAKE PROPER CARE OF YOUR PET, THEN GIVE HIM TO SOMEONE WHO WILL!!!

Sorry for my rantings everyone...this just REALLY bugs me!!!

AMEN!!!

You're preaching to the choir, Corncrazy.

Pyro, your snake needs help. Give it the treatment suggested if that's all you can do, but know professional medical attention will be the best and fastest way to get it back to health. It NEEDS to "see a doctor".

Back