• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

please help

Adolf

i am very new to the hole snake thing and just got myself a beautiful normal corn and would like to get a nother soon, will it be fine to keep them together as it will be male and female and both are still hatchlings.

sorry if it is a silly question,

Welcome to the hobby!

It's never silly when people ask what's best for their snakes. :)

To answer your specific question, the snakes should be housed separately. If you do a search you'll find a lot of threads on this topic.

They live alone in nature, and there are a lot of reasons why separate housing is best. Of course, mature males and females are put or kept together for breeding, but that potential is far down the road for you at this point.

A few reasons for keeping snakes in their own vivs include potential cannibalism (particularly with young snakes), being able to know how each individual is eating, eliminating and shedding, and avoiding stresses that can cause one or both of the animals problems with eating, growing, etc.

You should pick up a copy of Kathy Love's book, "Corn Snakes, The Comprehensive Owner's Guide." It was pretty much my other Bible when getting started in the hobby. You can get it directly from Kathy at www.cornutopia.com, though it's also available in other places. Don Soderburg's book is also good, "Cornsnakes in Captivity." Don runs South Mountain Reptiles.

Again, welcome. Please post pictures when you get a chance.

It's not a silly question. It's very sensible to ask, especially since you are asking BEFORE you get the 2nd snake.

But it's not good to have 2 snakes in one enclosure. It causes a lot of stress, as snakes don't get attached to one another like birds or mammals do. There are lots and lots of reasons why you shouldn't do it. Use the search function here & look for "co-habbing", or the thread "two corns in one cage" (might be "2 corns in one cage"). That will give you the reasons why not to do it.

Plastic tubs work really well as vivariums and are inexpensive, so just get one of those for your 2nd snake (and then the 3rd, 4th, etc) and all will be well for your snakes.

Hi Adoph,
Welcome to the forum!
You know how some people "have it" and some don't?
Well, those 2 ladies that answered your question definately "have it"!
I am so glad you are listening to them!

I am against co habbing myself too. Keeping animals that are solitary by nature with others is just not a good thing, imo. It is kind of like if you were locked in a house with someone you absolutely hate, and are forced to share space with this person forever. Not a happy lifestyle!

Aw, I'm all warm and fuzzy inside. It's nice to know I don't ALWAYS put my foot in my mouth. Thanks, Beth!

Back