• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pleo at Sea World

Siren

I know I don't post here much, but wanted to share this video. I took my Pleo to Sea World this past weekend. Pleo is a robotic dinosaur that can see, feel, hear and convey limited emotions through AI. I knew how some dogs and cats reacted to Pleo, but I wanted to see what some higher mammals may do. And the result of my experiment was more than I ever imagined

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i_HN_Twdds

My corn snake is uninterested in Pleo. I placed her on top of Pleo once and she scrunches up, and moves along her more like an inch worm, I guess because of the texture of Pleo's skin. But she just slithered off her without much care.

My bearded dragon looked at her curiously for a few minutes and then could care less.
My dogs can't be bothered. Though Pleo scared one of my dogs once.
My Persian hates them. But my Sphynx loves them. My rabbit and turtles don't care about them.
Never tried to see what the gerbils and mice thought of Pleo though.

How cool! I wonder if the dolphins were talking about what they thought Pleo was. They were sure fascinated by her!

I'd never heard of Pleo before this, what a darling little robot! I wish I had the money for one!

Coool !!

Hey Siren,

That was awesome, the way the dolphins reacted. Very interesting! Did the trainers offer an opinion on the response from the dolphins?

Thanks for posting it!

-Tonya

Very very interesting! The interaction between Pleo and the dolphins is just adorable. As odd as this may sound, it actually made my day. Thank you so much for posting!
I just looked on the Pleo site and your video is on there. :)

Lisa

How cute! If you don't mind me asking, how much $ did you have to drop for said Pleo?

Wow, that's really amazing. I like how the dolphins reacted to the thing, it really makes me wonder about dolphin intelligence to see them become so interested as a group in the strange new creature.

Once one dolphin noticed, every single dolphin came to check it out at some point. So yes, I certainly think they talked to eachother. Called the others over to see it.

The trainers were amazed as the rest of us. They told me they have RC cars and trucks they play with in the viewing area and the dolphins chase them across the glass, but that is a game for them. Those are toys. The trainers were mostly speechless. With "oh my god"s now and then, so I would say the dolphins' reactions was brand new to them. I didn't have time to talk to them after. I really wish I asked them for an on camera interview or something, lol.

Also, this was the first time Pleo herself seemed so interested in something. Dogs, cats, even people, she eventually walks away to explore something else. But this time, she stayed put and watched them and often made vocalizations. I did not use the original camera audio because it was packed with people and you can barely make out much. And you can't hear Pleo at all. But the Pleos make lots of vocalizations. I believe Ugobe, the company who makes them, said they have as many as 400. I could be wrong on that, but I could have sworn it was 400.

And yes, Ugobe liked the video so much, they posted it on their front page and on their Twitter blog too :D

Pleo is an amazing machine. I'd never heard of it until I saw this thread, but then I watched the video where the tech guys tested how Pleo would react to abuse. It was amazing and horrific because the poor little robot reacted exactly the way you would think an animal would (It eventually died). I felt sorry for the little guy and it's just some mechanical parts with software controls.

I think Ugobe made something special in the Pleo toy.

Pleo is an amazing machine. I'd never heard of it until I saw this thread, but then I watched the video where the tech guys tested how Pleo would react to abuse. It was amazing and horrific because the poor little robot reacted exactly the way you would think an animal would (It eventually died). I felt sorry for the little guy and it's just some mechanical parts with software controls.

I think Ugobe made something special in the Pleo toy.

Remember Furby? This thing is like Furby x 1,000,000.

Funny thing is....the creator and brain child of Pleo is also the creator and brain child of Furby. Pleo is actually everything Furby was suppost to be.

Caleb Chung came up with both. Back when he came up with Furby, he brought the idea to Tiger Electronics, showed them everything he wanted to do with Furby and pretty much they said, "That's great, but we're gonna toss out all this other crap and make this a $30 toy!"
The advertised it as something with artifcial intelligence that can learn English...there was no microphone, it couldn't hear. All it did was the more you played with it, the more pre-programmed words and motions were activated.

Caleb decided this time to do it HIS way. He was able to get enough investors to create his own company Ugobe to help create and manufacture Pleo :)

BTW, Pleo stands for Personal Life Enhancing Organism. And Ugobe often refers to Pleo as a life form, more than a robot. :)

I don't mean to be pedantic, Siren (Well, maybe I do), but Pleo would be the brain child of the creator, not the other way around. :)

Back