• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pondering regurges

Kitty

You rang?
Both of my regurges (different snakes) were first or second double-pink meals. One was definitely temperature related, the other a mystery.

Other scraps of info - I have pinks in the 2-3 gr range and fuzzies in the 3-5 gram range. Conventional wisdom advises doubling smaller prey items before moving to the next size. However, several opinions state multiple food items are tougher to digest than single ones.

So, I've been thinking (scary, huh?). Has anyone just considered the individual mice in their larder and moved snakes up to the next size without using the double-feeds as a transition?

If so, have you noticed any particular difficulties? If you did/do double-anythings, how would you compare the two methods?

Yes. I recently moved my hatchling amel up to fuzzies without going through the double pinky stage. I noticed that there really wasn't that much difference between the largest pinkies and the smallest fuzzies. Two of the pinkies was way bigger than a fuzzy, so I just switched. No problems, and he grew three inches in the first month on fuzzies.

I usually only do double-prey for the pinky-->fuzzy transition. However, I have snakes that would not eat double-pinks, always refusing the second one. My little Upper Keys male recently started eating double-pinks with no apparent problem, but then regurged the second double-pink meal. That one was my fault: I screwed up plotting that feeding. I fed him the second meal only four days after the first, which was his single-pink schedule, and it was a little too soon that early into the transition. But after an 8-day break (I cheated), and a dusting of nutribac, he's back on the program. :)

For the mice I buy, two of anything besides pinks usually ends up weighing more than a single item of the next size. So for me, it doesn't make sense to transition with a heavier meal than the one I'm trying to move the snake to. :shrugs:

Back