• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pooing

They don't purposely hide it, but yes they do poo under the substrate or any number of places where it is difficult to spot. This is perfectly normal.

Some snakes have a favorite spot "to go."

Others don't.

I had a Red Tail Boa that always, I mean always pooped in her water bowl. Lucky for me. I always knew where to look and always took care of it right away. Not so Lucky for her - her water was ruined until I cleaned it out. (Haven't figured out yet if she was smart or stupid for crapping where she drinks, but......)

Now I have this silly Corn Snake, Rufus.

So far he has pooped almost everywhere. Yes He did it in his water bowl. He's also done it on the side of his glass and then smeared it along. He's done it under both of his Hides. He's done it up in one of his Climbing Vines. (I think he gets a kick out of watching me clean his cage.)

But what I do is 3 days after he eats, I start searching. If I can't see it right away, I start moving stuff around and looking for it. It's there! I know it is! (He's regular as Clockwork.)

Look for the Poo!

When they're small it's pretty easy to miss it. I used aspen curls for my two hatchlings and I could never find it, they were the same colour! Adult snakes are hard to miss though. :p. Eww.

Some snakes have a favorite spot "to go.!

So true !

I would keep a large bowl and a small bowl of water in the boa cages because they would defecate in their water also.
Pine/gopher/bull's, milks seem to like corners.
Corns, kings anywhere.
BP's in their fav hide Errrrrrrr!!
Got a moquard's albino beauty that also like to defecate where she sleeps. The male likes to decorate his tub with it LOL.
Baby kings liked to throw it at me during cleaning/feeding haha
Teddy one of our Tegus used to crap in my lap as he walked across me. A sign of affection ??? haha, Probably a sign of domination really

This is exactly why I like newspaper. I don't like the idea of hidden waste, especially liquid waste, sitting in my tanks. And now, I pretty much know when they go to the bathroom, so I just crumple the newspaper and it goes in the trash.

Corn Snakes "Hide under their bedding" because some people give them that option. If you don't provide that option, they will hide somewhere else.

I have never in my 57 years found a wild corn snake hiding under a field of shredded aspen. I have found many of them in old barns, under rocks, in crevices, under log piles, and I've even found a few stretched out across a gravel road on a warm sunny day.

^ What is that substrate you're using if you don't mind me asking?

If that is the reptile carpet stuff, how do you like it? I almost picked some up at Petsmart the other day.

My little corn (3 months) ostentatibly ignores the peat laid in thick layer on the bottom. I let it naturally dry out in the viv (aiding with the humidity before starting to ocassionally sprinkle it with water) and all he does is crawling on top ... but has plenty of his "secret hiding spots" in 3D background so guess he simply doesn't feel the need to burrow :)

I like it a lot. I started out using Aspen (because all the other Corn Snake people told me to). But I always used News Paper with my Boas.

So I bought some Aspen for the Corn Snake and never even used the whole bag. It's messy. You can't find the poop half the time. It's expensive.

So I bought 2 pieces of this "Repti Mat" that fit my tank. I simply put one piece in. When I do my weekly cleaning, I remove it, put in the clean piece and wash the dirty one. The dirty one once it's clean is ready for the next week. I've been using the same 2 pieces now for about 6 months. It never wears out, it's easy to clean (I soak it in the bath tub under about 1 inch of water with a small amount of bleach. I scrub it with an old discarded tooth brush, rinse it off then hang it up to drip dry. It repels water so it dries very quickly.

This stuff wasn't around when I had my Boas. If it had been I wouldn't have used the newspaper.

Yup. Totally agree with you on the aspen. I'm a total clean freak, so aspen is out. Tried it and did not like it at all. once they go, you have to scoop out the main waste, and then go looking for more in the surrounding areas but of course all the liquid stuff seeps to the bottom, so you gotta disinfect the glass in the meantime you're getting all the surrounding aspen wet and it molds... ugh, I can go on and on about how much I hate that stuff.

The carpet seems like some effort too, but at least you're keeping the tank spotless. But I think I would need 4 pieces for my tank. I would go through 2 a week easy.

Back