• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pooing

Lewb

One of my corns, cb06, has eaten 3 meals without pooing.. while my other corn has eaten the same amount and pooped 3 times. She also seems to not want to come out of her hide and be handled while she has a full stomach. Is this normal? Do some poo less often than others?

thanks

I might be a little concerned about a snake not defecating after 3 decent sized meals.

My experience has been that all my snakes have usually defecated anywhere from 2-5 days after receiving a meal.

If you are keeping your snakes together, this is not always easy to tell for obvious reasons, but I'll assume that your snakes are in separate tanks so that you would know what snake is doing what business.

You might want to check around the suspect snakes cloacal vent to see if there is anything there, like any type of fecal type matter or hardening. A healthy snake should have a clean and unobstructed cloaca. You might also want to very gently run your fingers along the mid-section ventral scales towards the cloaca to see if you feel any hard lumps which might mean you have some type of compaction problem or some type of infection (only do this several days after feeding so as not to cause any digestive stress).

It also helps to keep a log of shed activity. Most snakes usually shed about once every 4-6 weeks depending on the age. If your snake hasn't shed in a long time, it could be the old skin might be causing some problems as well.

I hope you can resolve this for the health of your snake :)

Depending on the substrate you are using, it's possible you may have missed the poo.
Also most snakes(not all) hide to digest thier meals and shouldn't be held about 48 hours after eating or until the lump is gone from thier bellies. Otherwise you risk a regurge which you definately don't want to happen.Good luck!

oops. Meant to add that if indeed he hasn't poo'd you may want to take him out to exercise or give a lukewarm bath. Both those things sometimes will stimulate the snake enough to make them poo.

My corns go pretty regular, but I will say that in the beginning I had been using a type of reptile bark and was missing the poo. It can be easy to do, what I started doing before I switched to aspen was to take a plastic spoon and stir up the bark. Even if I happened to miss the poo, I could smell it. With my corns I see that they go regular (though I need to start keeping better records to be sure). My boa went 3 months before he left some poo, which was the size of a softball and he really isn't that big. With him I kept making sure that there was no hard section in him, I gave him the warm soaking baths that people kept recommending, got plenty of exercise, but he just wouldn't go. With a boa I wouldn't be as concerned, but with corns they seem to be the one meal, one poop out guys. What size is the snake and what size of prey are you giving it? That may have something to do with it.

stupid poo question

what does the poo look like? my little baby came home last week, was fed at pet store last fri and ate a pinky yesterday. i have reptile bark. what am i looking for when i am looking for poo? i dont want it to be left in there and he gets sick... :eatsmiley :roflmao: :dgrin:

We know not to handle him for 2 days after a meal, and the two snakes are in seperate tubs (they are still quite small) and kept on kitchen roll paper. The area just above her tail (forget the technical term) is very large and does look like she is due a poo. I will try the lukewarm bath idea.

thankyou

hartsock said:
My corns go pretty regular, but I will say that in the beginning I had been using a type of reptile bark and was missing the poo. It can be easy to do, what I started doing before I switched to aspen was to take a plastic spoon and stir up the bark. Even if I happened to miss the poo, I could smell it. With my corns I see that they go regular (though I need to start keeping better records to be sure). My boa went 3 months before he left some poo, which was the size of a softball and he really isn't that big. With him I kept making sure that there was no hard section in him, I gave him the warm soaking baths that people kept recommending, got plenty of exercise, but he just wouldn't go. With a boa I wouldn't be as concerned, but with corns they seem to be the one meal, one poop out guys. What size is the snake and what size of prey are you giving it? That may have something to do with it.

Sorry for the double post..

She is about 24 inches long and we're giving her fluff mice, the next size up from pinkies. Are they too big? We could try offering her 2 pinkies and see if she poos then maybe. She has quite a wide girth for her length.

sweetjeni19 said:
what does the poo look like? my little baby came home last week, was fed at pet store last fri and ate a pinky yesterday. i have reptile bark. what am i looking for when i am looking for poo? i dont want it to be left in there and he gets sick... :eatsmiley :roflmao: :dgrin:

My babies poo is mostly dark with very little white(urates). So if you have reptibark or something like that it may be hard to find. As they move up in food size I have found the poo become more whitish. That's just been my experience, not sure what others experience with thier snakes.. Hope this helps.

The poop seems to vary between snakes. My little normal who is still on pinks usually has a lighter color poo. The snow who is larger and on fuzzy mice (I think what they call fluff across the pond.) seems to be darker, but better formed. The creamsicles are dark brown and sort of clump up better. What can give it away is looking for the urates. They usually dump those at the same time as the poo, so that will help spot them in the bark. If anything the key to finding them for me has been smell and the clumping of the bark. For the most part you should be able to stir the bark around and it be loose, if you find a clump, it is more than likely poo.

She is about 24 inches long and we're giving her fluff mice, the next size up from pinkies

I don't think that is unusualy large for her, the main rule that I have seen on here is that the prey should not be larger then the thickest part of the snakes body. Or that the lump should be going down and unseen after 24 - 48 hours.

Here is what I would recommend and it helped me pretty much out of accident because the store was out of reptile bark. Keep searching for the poo until you need to change the bark or feel like it early. get some shredded aspen (I assume you can get that in England) and use that till you see what the poo looks like and you'll know a little better when you go back to reptile bark if you want too.

Back