• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

pooping

lurycnitsuj

So, ive had my corn since sunday. I fed her monday night, she ate two pinkies! Before I fed her on monday, she pooped while I was holding her. then today I was holding her again and she pooped on me again. Does this happen often? or was it just bad luck? She is still a little baby by the way.

Justin

If my snake "has one ready" you can bet she'll do it when we handle her. I'm not familiar with babys, does she seem agitated when you handle her?

It's normal. She is trying to get you to say "uchk" and put her down. She will grow out of that phase. She'll probably quit doing it as she becomes more accustom to you.

she doesnt seem agitated at all. I mean shes constantly moving around, but i just take that as being active, i guess.

Another thing, Im pretty sure shes a snow, the pet store said albino, but by the looks of other snows, im guessing thats what she is. At different parts of her body, you can see little darker regions. It looks to be something inside of her that is showing through? could that be her poop? or is it just her insides?

Well for starters, a lot of people here including myself would recommend a settling in period of 3 to 7 days with no feeding or handling, but since you've already done both by the sound of it, we'll skip that bit i think :)

I usually wait until I find poop in the tank before handling, as that will mean there's less chance of getting pooped on. You should always leave your corn alone for 48-72 hours after feeding, to avoid a regurgitation of the last meal.

If your corn poops on you it can sometimes be because he is afraid, don't forget, to them we look like big scary predator. If he does this, do not put him straght back in his tank, as he may just start to associate pooping on you with being left alone and you don't want to reinforce this behaviour.

Youngsters usually poop anything from 2 to 5 days approx after eating, it that helps :)

Good luck and best wishes, I hope that helped some,

If it's a young Snow that you have, then you will be able to see the digested food as it nears the vent/cloaca and you can avoid handling until after it has passed a toilet ;)

You will also probably be able to see the heart, about a third of the way down from the head, and further along, the stomach and gall bladder especially when looking from underneath :)

awesome, thanks for the help. I did wait 48 hours after i fed it to handle it, but did not wait long to handle it after i brought it home. Also, I did find poop in her tank, so i figured she pooped it all out, but i guess not.

Also, i dont have a scale or anything but she is around 12 inches long, is two pinkies too much for her, she ate them both quickly with no problem 4 days after her last feeding. I really hope this isnt too much.

The rule of thumb is to feed a prey item no bigger than one and a half times the thickest part of your corn. If she is taking and keeping down two small pinkies, then she is probably ok with that, but I wouldn't feed more than two items at a time.

Have you got a kitchen scale that weighs in grams, if you have, or you can get one, here is a link to a great feeding guide, hope it helps :)

http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106

Best wishes,

Congrats on the new baby. I bet you're so excited. My first snake was also a snow corn. I love him dearly. :)

One thing to keep in mind, though: What color is the "poop"? If it is dark, it is in fact poop, but if it's white, yellow, or light cream color, it's urates. Snakes excrete urates as a defense mechanism. My snow has never done this to me, but I've had other snakes do it, and it's called musking. Some snakes' musk smells really bad. :eek:

Also moving around tends to get things out if I handle my snakes before they poo after a meal then they will likely poo as soon as I put them in the cage. Just think about going for a run when you kinda gotta poo haha. As others have stated you should probalby give her some settling in time!

Back