• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Positive Report, and lessons learned!

starship

We got our baby corn snake in 4 weeks ago. She ate one time, and then got loose. After that she was in two different temp tanks. During this time she would not eat.

We finally settled her down in a show box tub. Did not move it or her, and did not handle for the entire week.

Offered a F/T pinkie, and she ate! 5 days later she ate again.

I think a new snake does NOT need a full size tank to start in, but something smaller.

And give them several weeks to adjust after they are eating well before a lot of handling. I want her to grow secure in her current tub, and be eating regular before handling.

Comments welcome!

A full size tank with plenty of hides is definitely sufficient. Although a smaller tub to go inside the tank for eating time is great, to prevent substrate ingestion.
She probably didn't eat after the stress of escape and being found again.

But I'm glad she's eating for you again!

I agree with Robbie, my 10 yr old's corn, Aphrodite, came to us at only 14g and moved right into a 30 gal long thats 36" x 24" x 18". She settled well and has had no trouble eating or growing or shedding at all. I would say this is because right from the start we offered her 4-6 different small hides closer to her size and then with in a couple of weeks of owning her, I spoke with Kathy Love and she suggested that one single long thing hide the length of the viv with one entrance right in the middle was optimum. She told me to get a thin PVC pipe, one that would have a diameter barely larger than the snake, so the snake would feel the sides when in it as the snuggness = security for the snake. Then have hubby cut it in half length wise and cut a hole in the top or along the one edge but in the middle either way. Make sure there were no rough edges left on it. Put it in the viv and cover the open ends with aspen. This way the snake (baby or otherwise) has a snug safe home with only one opening that gives the maximum temperature gradients available to them, ranging from the warmest to the coolest and does not have to choose between hot or cold, nor does it have to come out to get to a different temp. It can stay in the "safe" place as much as it wants other than to get water. We have had Aphrodite since 4/19/09 @ 14g and was just weighed before this weeks feed on 7/19/09 @ 32g and she has shed in May June and July.

Thanks Asbit for that great tip and all the detail - I'm going to try that with our little runt (12 gram snow).

Bob

I know there are those who disagree, but I'm with Asbit. Large vivs are fine as long as there are plenty of hides. Yohsong, my first corn, was a minute hatchling from Petsmart when he was given to me. His first viv was a 20-gal long with plenty of hides. He never had issues with that.

Corn snakes DO actually live and breed in the great outdoors. I've yet to see a woods, field, or other snakey habitat that was as small as the largest viv. I realize that the stresses of captivity are different, but the truth is that the snakes need to feel secure. This can be accomplished in several ways, including the use of a small viv and/or the use of many hides.

Congratulations on getting your baby off to a healthy start! I'm glad things are now going well for you. :dancer:

Back