• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Post 170g Feeding Regime?

Galaxyman

Hey all, my year and a half corn is just breaching the 250g mark, and my 25-28g mice are starting to barely make a noticeable lump. So, should I bump up the size/quantity? Or continue feeding 25-28g mice? I'm aware of the guidelines as to when to normally bump up a size, but my mice retailer jumps up from "Adult," approx. 25g mice - the size I'm currently feeding - to "Jumbo" 40 to 50g mice, which would most likely violate the 1.5 x width standard.

Essentially, what is the "post Munson plan plan"? Or do 20-30g mice satisfy a corn for the rest of its life (as the Munson plan says)? Thanks guys.

I feed mine the 'normal' adult size mice throughout their lives (females every 10-14 days, males every 14-21 days), except when preparing for breeding or recovering from egg laying (then I'll use the XL adults or weanling rats).

My 469 gm 3 3/4 yr old female approx 3 3/4 feet long is feeding on mice that range from 24 gms -34 gms. I give her about 3 feeds of the smaller ones then a feed of a larger one and then start the cycle again. She is feed every 12 days, is not fat but not thin, quite muscular and still gaining weight being fed that way. In fact she usually averages about a 9-12 gm gain between each meal. I plan on her being bred next year so I am watching her carefully and spacing some of her feeds out to 14 days so that she does not get over weight or flabby.

One of my other females (a pet store purchase who had been cohabbed and bred to small) I am working on getting up to a healthy weight so that with in the next two years she could also start breeding. She is currently being fed every 5 days on a mouse that ranges from 16 - 15 gms, she weighs 230 gms and is solid muscle. When I got her she was so thin from the premature breeding that her skin hung off of her. She now fits her skin, but there does not appear to be an ounce of fat on her. On average she puts on 8 gms between feeds.

Hope these details help you to see that 170 + adult corns will do just fine on adult mice, aside from feeding up previous to breeding or to recoup after egg laying.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking this and thanks for the answers so far. I was a little curious about this myself, having just acquired 2 snakes that are close to 500 g.

Thanks for the input, all. Anyone else who'd like to share their adult corn feeding schedule would be appreciated.

Mine get large adult mice all their lives. Generally, healthy males and non-breeding females are fed one mouse every two-three weeks but the regime needs tweaking slightly for some individuals. Breeding females get extra rations while gravid, and then after laying until they regain their pre-breeding condition.

Thanks for the reply, Bitsy. I've got some more questions now! When is my corn considered an adult? (when do I implement the adult mouse every 2-3 week schedule?) Is adulthood indicated by the 170g mark, a birthday, a length? Or is it a combination? Thanks for your help, everyone.

Also, I just noticed I spelled "regimine" wrong like a fool. :twohammer

They mature at different rates, but generally three years old is considered adult. Mine go on the 2-3 week schedule as soon as they're taking large mice - I do it by the size of the food rather than age of the snake. It's usually well before three years of age.

Back