• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

pre scenting F/T mice for balls

pipi5xtra

Have got gerbils and want to know how to get there scent on the F/T mouse as my balls are not eating. Read that gerbils were their natural prey and thought the scent might encourage them to eat. They are only babies reggie weighs 65 gms and Ronnie weighs 75 grams. They are not interested in food and back away from the mouse. Both fed before i brought them. Cannot get hold of gerbil fuzzies either so this is my only option other than feeding live, which i want to avoid if possible. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

I would get them feeding first, even if its on live. At least for a couple of feedings, just to get them started for you. Then you can mess around with f/t.

If you want to scent it, thaw out the mouse and put it in a bag with some gerbil bedding, or you could even just rub the gerbil on it. One thing I've noticed with my bps, is two things.

One is that I pre-scent the room. I get all the f/t rats in a big zip lock bag and and let them thaw in the snake room with the bag open. I then put them in hot water for a few minutes to heat them up. By the time I'm heating them, 90% of the balls have crawled out of their hide and are in eating mode. The second thing is that I then make sure that the rats are VERY hot (as hot as they can get with hot tap water). This makes or breaks whether some will eat or not. I have a couple that if they don't eat, its because the rat isn't warm enough. So I warm it a little more and they go right for it.

Back