• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Prey Size Update Question

DrachenDame

Let me give a little background before I jump right into the question:

Most of you know (at lease those who are following) that I've had Edgar since January. He started off very picky and finicky, but he's been eating successfully f/t pinkies every 5-7 days for a while. Right now I'm at school in NC. He's been living in my friend's apartment (LOOOONG Story), and I don't get to see him everyday. I'm going home on the 14th, and he'll be staying with my friend until I go up to CT on the 28th. Once I'm in CT, he'll be living with me and I'll be seeing him everyday, and able to monitor his weight and eating habits more regularly.

My question is this:
I think Edgar is to the point where he needs to have his prey sized upped. The Petsmart near me doesn't sell frozen rat pinkies. They only have pinky mice and fuzzy mice (And so on until adult mice). Right now he's eating pinky mice. I'm wondering if I should continue feeding pinkies until he's settled with me in CT, or if I should up him to fuzzies now? Any help, advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! :)

Try two pinkie mice at the same time. That's the way I usually move mine towards mouse fuzzies. Once he's kept two down for a few feeds, it should be safe to try a fuzzy.

Most people avoid rats of any size as they're more fatty than mice.

I fed him 2 pinks, and he took them both like a champ. I fed him in a feeding cup this time, and it worked perfectly! :) Here's a pic of him eating the second one. Sorry for the low quality, I only had my cell phone.

0424002141.jpg

Thanks! I couldn't find the lid that went to it, but I wanted to make sure he ate on the paper towel since the mice were kind of sticky. I punched some air holes in the container, put him in with the mouse and flipped it over LOL! He ate the first one within about 5 minutes or so, and he ate the second one right away! I'll definitely be feeding him in the cup from now on.

Back