• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Problems with females?

ekans

I'm getting a female corn snake soon (my first snake) and just read something about some females dying because of problems with their eggs? I have no idea what they were talking about and I'm really confused. Can someone clear this up for me?

Some females have trouble laying eggs - getting eggbound can be life-threatening although it can usually be sorted out one way or another. You can never be guaranteed to avoid it, but you give your females the best chance by making sure that you don't breed them too young, too small or in less than their tip-top physical condition.

If you don't plan to breed then this shouldn't be a problem for you. Occasionally an unmated female lays a clutch of infertile eggs, but as these tend to be smaller than fertile eggs the risk of eggbinding is much lower.

Well, that's not entirely true. I had a virgin female (Cherry) double clutch in 2009. One of the slugs got stuck. It eventually passed after a month or so, but it was EXTREMELY stressful for me, waiting. I bred her in 2010, because I heard that fertile eggs are less likely to get stuck than slugs. No problems. In 2010 a virgin two year old (Azaria) ovulated, got HUGE, and then after a couple months of refusing to eat and sitting in her lay box, reabsorbed the ova. I am not sure if I'm goiing to breed her in 2011 or not. She'll be big enough.

Yep as I said, the risk of eggbinding is lower with infertile eggs - but the risk is still there.

I also have a "major ovulater" who goes into full gravid mode each year - right down to ballooning in size, going off food for weeks and insisting on a laying box before she'll settle. She's never laid an egg in her life bless her, fertile or otherwise. I gave up mating her a few years ago and she still runs through the whole routine annually. It looks pretty miserable for her TBH.

I'd say that the majority of unmated females never lay infertile eggs or ovulate to that extent though, and so never have problems.

After having lizards that want to lay multiple clutches, when they are the only one of there kind in the house, I have concluded that female reptiles are just more of a PITA. Which is a change- I didn't used to like the male springtime hunger strike- now it's like a mini-feeding vacation!!

Back