• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

purchased gravid corn a month ago. no eggs?

haley

This isn't quite another "is my snake gravid" post.

We were having a horse show in OKC, and some of our riders mentioned people "with snakes" moving into the hotel during the finals, so I took a trip over to see if there was a show.

I've always liked corns but had promised myself I'd wait until there was a show so I could buy from a breeder instead of giving in to the cute babies at Petco.

I fell in love with a pair of snow corns, slept on it, and came back to get them the next day. The owners informed me that the female was gravid and would probably pop any day. My (limited) experience in this is with boas, so I asked about what all I needed to set up, etc. The seller in the next booth came over and made sure I knew she was gravid, and he said he felt at least twelve eggs earlier that day.

I brought them both home (and a baby b/c I'm weak), set them up, gave her a sphagnum box, and tried to not fuss with her. She shed after the first week.

This weekend will be a month since I brought her home and no eggs. She splits her time between her cave and the nest box, and she's got a healthy appetite. I'm totally confused. I'm perfectly happy either way; they're both sweet as can be. I just want to make sure everything is ok.

I put her in a tub to snap a few pictures, but someone came to the door, so I was cut short and had to put her back for a while. I did get these two, but I'm not sure how much help they'll be. I can take more in a bit if needed.

Am I crazy?

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

She doesn't look gravid to me. :shrugs: It almost looks like she laid her eggs already. When did she shed last, and have you dug around in the nest box to check for the eggs? Sometimes they like to bury them.

She shed last maybe two weeks ago? Maybe a little longer.

I did dig around (she's actually buried in it right now), and have looked all throughout the aspen, thinking I might have just missed something. So weird!

She shed last maybe two weeks ago? Maybe a little longer.

I did dig around (she's actually buried in it right now), and have looked all throughout the aspen, thinking I might have just missed something. So weird!

That really is odd... I would think that the shed 2 weeks ago would have been either her pre-lay or post-lay shed, and looking at how thin she is, I'd guess post-lay.

Thanks for the help. :) There is absolutely no way she laid since she's been here. I wonder if I should contact the seller and let them know.

I don't think she looks thin! I was positive Choco was going to lay a clutch of slugs. I felt like I could even feel the eggs. I put a lay box in with her, and...nothing. Now she doesn't even feel like anything's there. Maybe your snake reabsorbed the eggs!

That's what I was thinking might have happened, Nanci. I didn't know how common it was or how late it could happen. When I brought them home, both people at the show were pretty sure she'd lay as soon as I got her into a new home with a box. I've been trying to figure out if maybe she reabsorbed or even laid and ate them (?!) before I could check on her. I did email the seller to see if they had any clues. I mean, I can't imagine that eggs far enough along to feel could take a month longer.

wow

Can you post a picture of under the tail she looks like a he unless its just at the angle she is at!

stephen, that wasn't the picture you requested btw. I just walked back in, posted, and saw your reply. I wasn't being a smartass, I swear! :)

Ok, got a reply from the seller. He said that they didn't even think about her being gravid until they brought her to the show and the guy in the next booth told them she was. And he said that it would be just double clutching if she WAS. A little disappointing since all I heard from them was "she's gravid with x many eggs and is going to lay any second!" both days at the show, but at least I'm not as worried about her now that I have the real information.

she still looks gravid.. to me and from my experience my snake nanna didn't look prego and ate up to the very last day. i had a lay box in there out of my own paranoia.. and i come home and she split her time until gradually she spent more and more time in the lay box then wala one day there's a 13 eggs and one skinny nanna oh and hungry to.. so watch for a few more weeks..u never know..

Back