• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

PVC cages or racks?

Dahliasmom2012

I currently have Mojo in a 20L glass tank, Apophis is in a baby 10 glass until he gets bigger.

My friend and I were looking at PVC cages, I am interested in them but I also was looking at snake racks for space saving.

I only have 2 snakes currently and I like the look of the PVC, looking mostly at Boaphile and Animal Plastics for this purchase. The rack would be less expensive and it would allow me to get more snakes but they would have less head room for decor...do people still give rack snakes environmental enrichment stuff? A lot of the rack snake photos is the snake on paper with a water bowl and that is it.

I definitely want something lighter and less breakable, moving the 20L around for a deep clean is kind of asking for disaster with me. I am so clumsy.

What do you guys use, suggest and does anyone have any fun rack set ups that look less barren for the snake? Also, with a toddler I was wondering if anyone knows of people that make locks for snake racks because my 3 year old likes to open the gerbils and feed them herself annnnnd I am pretty sure she will try to do the same with the snakes if she can. Need something child safe. She is like a tiny disney singing ninja that one.

I have 2 pvc units. They are much bigger than a 20L (2feet by 4feet by 18inches), but also heavier and there is no way you'd be moving it on your own - due to the awkward size. Though I'm not quite sure why you have to move your viv to clean it?

I'm sure a rack system would end up being lighter (for a given unit), but you won't get the same size, nor will they be much to look at. Depends what you are looking for, I guess.

Here are some pictures. The very first one below was before I added some vines to the top perch.

Attachments

• 20150320_204905033_iOS.jpg
    20150320_204905033_iOS.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20150321_035241478_iOS.jpg
    20150321_035241478_iOS.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 20150321_145307576_iOS.jpg
    20150321_145307576_iOS.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20150321_145834722_iOS.jpg
    20150321_145834722_iOS.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 112
If you just have a couple of snakes, I would use AP or Boaphile display cages. However, once you start feeding the addiction (and you will!), you will need a way to house more animals in the same space. I use a combination of display cages, and racks. (I'll attach photos later).

I wouldn't worry too much about cage decor; snakes do fine with a hide box, and water bowl. They don't play with toys, and I think a lot of the decorations are for people, not the animals. I use plastic plants in my arboreal cages, but that's for me - I think the snakes couldn't care less!

I don't know if there are any locks available for racks. I built my display cages to accommodate a padlock, but don't really need it. It will just take a watchful eye to keep a toddler away from the snakes. Cats, and wool-gathering owners have contributed to a lot of escapes as well!

Kathy

Thanks! I brought the Viv to the bathroom to do a bleach cleanse because mojo likes to poo against the glass. Do you do deep cleans in the display cages every so often and how do you do it?

Thanks! I brought the Viv to the bathroom to do a bleach cleanse because mojo likes to poo against the glass. Do you do deep cleans in the display cages every so often and how do you do it?

With something this size (4x2x18) I deep clean very infrequently. Scoop out the poop (sometimes it can be a challenge finding it) after a feeding is the exent of it. Also wipe the smear marks off of the doors every now and then.

When I do a more thorough clean, I do not use bleach - just use vinegar in a spray bottle, wipe down, spray with water, wipe down, done. Shouldn't be any reason you need to move the viv.

If you are looking at pvc, you should check out this site:

http://cornelsworld.com/

He is actually in my city - which is in Canada. While it doesn't state it on the site, the prices are in canadian dollars - big advantage to you US folks these days. Even in CDN dollars, it seems a fair bit cheaper than the equivalent unit at boaphileplastics. I was comparing the 4x2x18

I suspect you'd come out way ahead, even with paying for shipping.

Another question on racks, the bins don't seem big enough for full grown snakes. Do they for well in them?

Yes, properly cared for snakes do as well in racks as any other cage. Tubs come in all sizes.

[

I pick up poop weekly, and change water a couple of times a week. I remove all the substrate, and clean with F10 about every 2 months. Just basically spot clean, then deep clean when needed - no need to move the cages.

Here are some photos of my snake room. No more room, so no more snakes! This could be you if you keep hanging around this site, lol!

Kathy

I think I am going to get a small rack from animal plastics. The 1960 sterilite tubs although giving less height will give Apophis and Mojo a few inches more floor space than the 20 l aquariums. Plus the smallest rack is a 3 tubber. Gives me a good reason for one more snake. Lol.

Kathy, on the second pic on the left with the light colored racks and the last pic with the white racks, did you purchase them or build them?

Thanks!

Kathy, on the second pic on the left with the light colored racks and the last pic with the white racks, did you purchase them or build them?

Thanks!

Michelle, the white racks are Animal Plastics 1753/1755 Sterilite racks. I built the clear acrylic cages, and my hubby built the wood racks. Love AP!

I think I am going to get a small rack from animal plastics. The 1960 sterilite tubs although giving less height will give Apophis and Mojo a few inches more floor space than the 20 l aquariums. Plus the smallest rack is a 3 tubber. Gives me a good reason for one more snake. Lol.

I ordered the 10-tubber, and it's still not enough, lol! But the 1960 tubs are nice-sized for adult corns.

Kathy

Haha. Changed my mind again after Mojo spent most of the night being silly and staring at me to will food into her face. I'm going to get a few T3 display from AP.

Michelle, the white racks are Animal Plastics 1753/1755 Sterilite racks. I built the clear acrylic cages, and my hubby built the wood racks. Love AP!

Kathy

I couldn't find the 1753 racks, and the 1755 don't seem to have open sides like yours.

The 1851 racks seem to be more like yours. If I am missing them totally would you post a link?

And both sites recommended to buy tubs are dead or they are out of stock on the tubs. I found these but the dimensions are different, would they still work? http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProd...=Specifications&ProductCategory=179&section=1

Thanks lady!

No, it's my fault - I neglected to mention that they are the Economy Plastic Racks - HERE :)

Target always has the bins in stock - at least our local store does.

Kathy

No, it's my fault - I neglected to mention that they are the Economy Plastic Racks - HERE :)

Target always has the bins in stock - at least our local store does.

Kathy

Odd question, do you put the lid on over the bin and just slide the bin in or does the top of the shelf act as the lid, tightly squeezed in the rack? I am still not finding the correct size bins that AP is recommending.

Thanks for your help, Kathy!

do you put the lid on over the bin and just slide the bin in or does the top of the shelf act as the lid, tightly squeezed in the rack?

No lids - the shelf above acts as the lid. I hope Sterilite is still making these bins. Target had tons the last time I was there. They have a purple label, and purple handles, if that helps. The 32-quart tubs are #1753, and the 16-quart tubs are #1755. (Or vice-versa; I'm at work, and don't have one handy!)

I like AP racks, because you can either use the large tubs, or the smaller ones, making the rack hold either 6 or 12 bins, or a combo of the two.

Kathy

I also really like the AP racks. The economy line of racks are really nice, and affordable. I also have two AP racks with the completely enclosed sides that fit the 32qt and 15qt tubs. My favorite racks! I order mine with casters and six slots. Ali is the best to talk to to if you ever need to call and ask questions about the racks :)

No lids - the shelf above acts as the lid. I hope Sterilite is still making these bins. Target had tons the last time I was there. They have a purple label, and purple handles, if that helps. The 32-quart tubs are #1753, and the 16-quart tubs are #1755. (Or vice-versa; I'm at work, and don't have one handy!)

I like AP racks, because you can either use the large tubs, or the smaller ones, making the rack hold either 6 or 12 bins, or a combo of the two.

Kathy

I also really like the AP racks. The economy line of racks are really nice, and affordable. I also have two AP racks with the completely enclosed sides that fit the 32qt and 15qt tubs. My favorite racks! I order mine with casters and six slots. Ali is the best to talk to to if you ever need to call and ask questions about the racks :)

Thanks, both of you! This info helps a lot. I agree, I liked the economy racks, I have all aquariums now, but if some of them could be put in the bins in a rack I could get them all into one room, I have two coming out of quarantine soon and one coming in today.

Back