• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Quarantine?

Claire1990

So i was reading a book on boas because for my birthday my present to myself will be a columbian rainbow boa. Anyways the author said that any time you get a new reptile you should quarantine it form your other ones for a few months. I've never heard of this before and wanted to know if anyone has done this or if its required. I do have one corn snake and was just going to set up another tank in my room for the new one. Any input would be great!

Yes, quarantining new reptiles is recommended. That way if, for example the new snake has mites, it isn't spread to your whole collection. I don't remember what it's called but there is at least one disease that affects pythons, don't remember if boas could get it too, but it is very contagious & untreatable. So if you brought in a new python that had it & you didn't quarantine properly, your whole python collection could die. Did what you were reading tell you how to quarantine?

I do quarantine any new animal that comes in, as well as take in a fresh poop to the vet. I usually quarantine for 12 weeks, not sure what is standard though.

When I quarantine, I set the animal up in a separate room from the others, and make certain I change clothes and wash thoroughly between handling the new animal and the established ones.

I know at least one member here has accidentally introduced illness into their collection by not quarantining a healthy-looking animal and wound up losing a bunch of their established collection. It's just not worth the risk to me.

I don't remember what it's called but there is at least one disease that affects pythons, don't remember if boas could get it too, but it is very contagious & untreatable.

You are probably thinking of IBD (Inclusion Body Disease), a nasty retrovirus.

All of the advice here is good - always, always, always, quarantine; no matter where the animal came from. I quarantine for a minimum of 60 days, and all new animals are treated for mites, whether I see any or not. I prepare their enclosures ahead of time, treated with Provent-a-Mite, and keep them on paper towel bedding so you can see mites if there are any. My quarantine room is on a different level of the house, away from my main collection.

Hope you get that boa for your birthday!

Kathy

Back