• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Quarantining new snake?

rockinmindless

I just bought my second corn a couple of days ago. I have been reading a lot on this site since then and have seen that everybody says the new snake needs to be "quarantined" but I haven't really seen what all is done to accomplish this. They are currently in their own individual 10gal vivs side by side. Is this not right? Should they be in seperate rooms? Can they spread disease through the air? I really don't have a good place to put the new viv, but could arrange something if needed. So basically I need any suggestions as to how I need to take care of this situation. How do I know when they are ready to come out of "quarantin"?

Thanks in advance

I never quarantines mine because they aren't keptin the same viv. I just leave them alone for a week before I handle a new one. What you might do though is, I put construction paper on the sides of my viv's so they can only see out of the front and they seem to come out and cruise more since I did that but it is only personal preference and opinion. I don't think they need to be quarantined though.

kr0316 said:
I never quarantines mine because they aren't keptin the same viv. I just leave them alone for a week before I handle a new one. What you might do though is, I put construction paper on the sides of my viv's so they can only see out of the front and they seem to come out and cruise more since I did that but it is only personal preference and opinion. I don't think they need to be quarantined though.

It helps reduce the spread of this http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26602 and other illnesses. Do a search to fine out more.

rockinmindless said:
So the Crypto and other illness can be spread through the air?

No I"m not sure on that but quarantining a new snake in a different room helps. You will more likely sure different "tools" and the snake will touch different surfaces.. So washing your hands and surfaces's "helps" reduces the risk. I think mainly illnesses are spread by the handler, clothes, and surfaces the the snake touches. And you have to take in to consideration where the new snake is coming from an establish breeder or a corner pet store.

Lennycorn said:
No I"m not sure on that but quarantining a new snake in a different room helps. You will more likely sure different "tools" and the snake will touch different surfaces.. So washing your hands and surfaces's "helps" reduces the risk. I think mainly illnesses are spread by the handler, clothes, and surfaces the the snake touches. And you have to take in to consideration where the new snake is coming from an establish breeder or a corner pet store.

Unfortunately I had to buy them both at pet stores due to not being able to find a breeder in my area(i'm sure I will now that I have all the snakes I want for the time being).

I guess i will mover her and be careful not to let them touch the same things and wash myself real well before handling. I am not handling her right now any way.

You will only have to do this for six to eight weeks. To check them out. My first one came from a pet store and the second from Rich. But I quarantined it anyway. But now the are on top of each other in a shelf system. In separate Viv's.

Actually, quarantine should be anywhere from 3-6 months and they should ideally be in completely different rooms. Due to space constraints my new Green tree python is in the same room, but on the opposite side. It is also in an enclosed rubbermaid container and is fed with different tongs, sprayer, etc.

Back