• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question about a Nikon camera model

ShenziSixaxis

Sticking To The Ceiling
I decided that I have too much money to just let sit there when I've been itching to get a new camera for quite some time. :D

So I noticed a Nikon camera that seems to spark my liking in the current Best Buy paper ad. This is Best Buy's website page on it. I've looked at a few reviews for it and I like it, even if it is bulkier than the Kodak Easyshare I have. I also don't mind the batteries it needs.

Now, I'm not a camera spec know-it-all. So that's where you guys come in. There's nothing that's really putting me off this camera, since a few reviews I've seen say it has good picture and video quality, and good is what I'm aiming for. I don't have the money to spend on a top-of-the-line camera that is used by professionals, and I don't plan on spending a whole lot of time experimenting with all the confusing features a TOTL camera has.

I just plan on taking casual pictures inside and outside, and some occasional video. I'm wanting to know if I could get a better camera for the same/less price, and if it is good/perfect for what I want to do with it.

You can't go wrong with a Nikon :D I love mine (D50 10 mega pix I think), if you think that's the one you want, I say go for it :D

Agreed, Nikons are good cameras. My ex had a D50 and a D80 that I used to play with (unfortunately, that was when I only had 2 snakes, so I don't have lots of pretty pictures of my current collection :() and I loved both of them, especially the D50. When I have the money for a new camera, I'll be getting a Nikon DSLR.

If you like it and it has the features you want, go for it. I would try to play with one in the store as much as you can to make sure it is user friendly.

You guys are so funny. :D "You like it? Get it!" XD I'll go play with a display model at Best Buy tomorrow and take my SD card to see how the pictures are.

Camera

I actually just bought this camera, not a week ago, I am loving it so far, I havent delved as far into it and it's settings yet, but the size is really not to bad, and the picture quality especially for macro settings (which is how I like to take pics of my reptiles) is great, I am attaching a pic I took with it of my beardie, havent tried the snakes yet, as my adult is in shed, and my babies that I have, well I have no excuse, I am just lazy lol. '

Attachments

• leela.jpg
    leela.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 47
I went from a Sony to a Nikkon and I love the picture quality. The macro on the standard lenses is the best you can get without an actual macro lens. Use is easy although the color is a little "over" saturated so I need to adjust from time to time. That said, it's a viewfinder shoot - that is you can't hold it and "see" the image on your display while you're framing, you have to look through the viewfinder every time. I like using the display sometimes as it makes it easier to control (haha) the snake while framing. Also, I'm not thrilled with the cumbersome way you have to transfer files and view files (their program only).

That said? I DO like the photos I get with this camera for the price paid.

Good luck!

-Tonya

I just bought that one almost two weeks ago. I'm having a problem with the macro setting, all the pictures are blurry. What do you think I'm doing wrong? I haven't had time to play with it much or look at the manual. The one time I really looked at the manual, it was very confusing & needed more brain cells than I had at that moment. Those are my two complaints with it thus far, but other than that it seems to be a good camera & fairly user friendly. If you do get it, you'll have to let us know how you like it.

I actually just bought this camera, not a week ago, I am loving it so far, I havent delved as far into it and it's settings yet, but the size is really not to bad, and the picture quality especially for macro settings (which is how I like to take pics of my reptiles) is great, I am attaching a pic I took with it of my beardie, havent tried the snakes yet, as my adult is in shed, and my babies that I have, well I have no excuse, I am just lazy lol. '

Looks great. Can you get some more up? :D

I just bought that one almost two weeks ago. I'm having a problem with the macro setting, all the pictures are blurry. What do you think I'm doing wrong? I haven't had time to play with it much or look at the manual. The one time I really looked at the manual, it was very confusing & needed more brain cells than I had at that moment. Those are my two complaints with it thus far, but other than that it seems to be a good camera & fairly user friendly. If you do get it, you'll have to let us know how you like it.

Look at the manual, definitely. Can't help anymore, though. You could probably call Nikon and ask for some help with the terms used, or google them.

I would say Nikon is great for field photography, good durability and mpxl count, and Canon is good for domestic pictures, more megapixels per dollar, but not very durable. Also, there are more generic items for a Canon. I, however, use a Nikon 3000, great deal and lots of focal points.

Nikon D3000 is also totally out of my price range. XD

And I tried a Canon before (a more expensive model, too), but it just didn't take good pictures. Bit of a problem since I plan on taking pictures indoors and outdoors. :rofl:

Nikon makes a good camera. I however love my Canon. Every Canon I have owned including all accessories have been bullet proof reliable and perform. Their L glass lenses are just exceptional and starting with the 40D on up the magnesium body is well sealed and tough. My 50D has been rained own, dropped, used around the ocean and in cold weather and has never missed a beat. The mega pixel thing is not that important to me but the fast frame rate, excellent color, accurate autofocus and auto white balance is. Every camera has its trade offs though and the main difference between a good camera and a bad one usually lies with the user.

I find the customer reviews at b&h and Calumet photo to be very helpful when looking at a particular camera or piece of gear and they have great prices as well. See: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ and http://www.calumetphoto.com/

....*is a casual photographer so far* :dunce:

I hear ya so was I but unfortunately that is how it starts. In my humble opinion a good prosumer camera is hard to beat even for a beginner on up. Two of the best right now are the Canon 7D or if you dont care about video then the 50D and Nikon D300. Flip a coin you cant go wrong with either of these in my opinion.

Perhaps not. Although, even with this cheaper once I've opted to buy, I should be able to get optimal picture quality because my brother's fiance offered to give me a crash course in cameras. :D

Back