• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question about Double Clutching

snakehobbyist

I'm not breeding this season, but hopefully I'll be able to cool next winter. That will be my bloodred's third winter and assuming she's up to weight, I'll plan to pair her in the spring 2014 along with possibly two others (both are smaller than her...but growing quickly). I am trying to plan out a baby rack to hold my hatchlings and I was curious as to what the frequency of double clutching is. I don't plan to pair my girls again after their first clutches of the season, but I know it's not unheard of for a female to double clutch without being paired. I just want to make sure I'm prepared for anything. Thanks!

I'm not breeding this season, but hopefully I'll be able to cool next winter. That will be my bloodred's third winter and assuming she's up to weight, I'll plan to pair her in the spring 2014 along with possibly two others (both are smaller than her...but growing quickly). I am trying to plan out a baby rack to hold my hatchlings and I was curious as to what the frequency of double clutching is. I don't plan to pair my girls again after their first clutches of the season, but I know it's not unheard of for a female to double clutch without being paired. I just want to make sure I'm prepared for anything. Thanks!

It is fairly common. I have one girl that doubles no matter what I do. I don't have plans to breed her in the spring so I will be curious to see if she produces eggs anyway. Little fertile mertile that she is. But out of 3 mommas that I had last year she was the only one that doubled. I would plan for a double. Better to be ready.

I've already determined to plan for double clutching just in case. I don't want my incubator to work too hard (I'm also breeding ball pythons currently) with an overload of eggs. I'm basically trying to plan to incubate only what I can handle. however, with double clutching, that tends to make things a little more difficult to plan. I've considered only pairing one or two of my five girls next season to see just what they produce and then go from there.

That sounds like a good plan. My first year I just did one girl then added a girl the next and another the next. Although that has taught me that I never want to do more than 3 or 4 girls. I like being a small breeder. More time with my babies before they are placed. lol

Although I don't use an incubator so space for that isn't a issue for me.

I have considered using my closet as an incubator for my corns (it stays a constant 81-82*). But I guess I like the idea of being able to control my temps/humidity with an incubator. I have to build me another one for the corns specifically. I have an old mini fridge that I've considered converting. It's got space for probably 3-4 egg boxes.

Back