• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question about grout and fungicide.

Genlisae

I see all these wonderful hides and other bits of decor everyone makes from styrofoam and grout. They are stunning. The little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying "Doesn't grout have fungicide?"

So, is my little voice paranoid or does it really have fungicide and that doesn't matter once it is sealed?

I would think that several layers of sealant would take care of any of that, but I'm not 100% sure.

Read the package of grout. It should come with warnings for handling, exposure, disposal, etc. if there's any bad stuff in it. The average can of latex house paint will make you afraid to use it if you read all the warnings on it! And yes, I would expect sealer to lock most of that stuff in after it's cured.

I would not be inclined to think that a toxin would be your friend in a viv. It would pretty much be 24/7 exposure.

I guess it would be a question of what toxin. Silver, for example is anti-bacterial, and yet maybe harmless to you in your kitchen and water supply. Thyme and lemon oil kill germs, clean stuff, and are not harmful / healthy for us - in moderation. So, I'd look close at what it is that makes the grout anti-fungal. Further, some compounds are toxic until cured (30 days for example) so, with curing, and micro evaporation (the source of the "New Car Smell" as products de-gas), your viv might end up safe after all.
That, and a food-grade sealant should work. My choice is usually shellac.
But of course, do what you're comfortable with.

I see all these wonderful hides and other bits of decor everyone makes from styrofoam and grout. They are stunning. The little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying "Doesn't grout have fungicide?"

So, is my little voice paranoid or does it really have fungicide and that doesn't matter once it is sealed?

Your post is making me wonder, because I'm planning a custom viv for eventual use too. I did some looking at material that I'd use to see what I could find out. I checked the MSDS (industrial safety info) for Quickrete non-shrinking grout, as well as other cements (including sand mix - which has a great texture with a little troweling and brushing).
http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/MSDS-D1-Non-ShrinkGrouts.pdf
http://www.quikrete.com/OnTheJob/SpecData.asp
Like all cement mixes, the dust and uncured product is dangerous and caustic. Once mixed, set, and cured though, it would be basically inert (though still alkaline - reactions are possible with other alkaline and acidic material). There's nothing in the mixes that I recognized as a fungicide.
That being the case, I would use the construction grade grout and not the interior kitchen / bath products that may well have chemical additives that are additionally dangerous.
Your snake should be fine with cured common cement products.

Back